Folders In Map

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Grog

Folders In Map

Post by Grog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello, It's been a while! Had a good thought here:

I've searched the forums, and there was one other person who mentioned implementing folders, referenced here (that I found):

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=286&p=1420&hilit=l ... lder#p1420

This is the point that matters, but I don't know if they mean in the Directory, or the sub-layers within the program itself:
12) Over the years I've accrued and created a significant number of textures and icons and they're highly organized, but OWM only allows a very limited folder depth with a very strict folder hierarchy which limits my ability to keep my content organized if I want to use it.
I would like to suggest subfolders within the map, similar to how features placed on a Landmass will be under that as the Landmass is its Parent, or will be further out if the Canvas is the Parent. This would allow people trying to do extra-wild things (like me) to group features up under the same Parent and place them with one another for easy access to move around/edit/delete/add to.

This is a similar feature as in Google Earth in which you can make multiple layers, but can put several layers within a folder so they stay grouped from everything else while staying under their Parent. Right now I have to manually select all the features at once, and then group it all together and then Hide it in order to make a second version of the map I'm making. While that's not an issue in itself, if I need to move a single item or items, delete them, or otherwise edit them, I have to ungroup everything, unhide everything, then edit it and manually redo the grouping process. Then, I have to find at least 1 of those features to click it and select the whole group. It's a tedious process that I believe folders would serve to work as.

They can act as a pseudo-layer within the Parent under everything else, with the features, regions, shapes (everything) that's put in it stay within itself so they don't have to constantly be found and grouped together. I would love this feature as soon as it could possibly be added!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Folders In Map

Post by Kanchou » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Grog wrote:Hello, It's been a while! Had a good thought here:

This is a similar feature as in Google Earth in which you can make multiple layers, but can put several layers within a folder so they stay grouped from everything else while staying under their Parent. Right now I have to manually select all the features at once, and then group it all together and then Hide it in order to make a second version of the map I'm making. While that's not an issue in itself, if I need to move a single item or items, delete them, or otherwise edit them, I have to ungroup everything, unhide everything, then edit it and manually redo the grouping process. Then, I have to find at least 1 of those features to click it and select the whole group. It's a tedious process that I believe folders would serve to work as.

They can act as a pseudo-layer within the Parent under everything else, with the features, regions, shapes (everything) that's put in it stay within itself so they don't have to constantly be found and grouped together. I would love this feature as soon as it could possibly be added!
Welcome back! :) And sorry for the very very late reply, wanted to look into before replying.

It's a good idea and we'll add it to the wish list. It's a significant addition, so it's probably going to be for later this year rather than the next two releases we have planned.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software