Number Labels

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

IronConrad

Number Labels

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:41 am

Old school underworlds used to have numbers on the map keyed to a description.

Circles with numbers in the center worked best. (But, in today's modern world, more text would be nice.)

Putting a circle object on the map and then dropping text into it seems a bit of effort. I suppose one could also create the numbers in an SVG file 1 to 50 for example and drop the "feature" on the map.

This would save pulling image out of the tool and dropping into another tool to put numbers in colored circles.

(PowerPoint is especially good at it since the fonts don't really alias.)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Number Labels

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:26 pm

IronConrad wrote:Old school underworlds used to have numbers on the map keyed to a description.

Circles with numbers in the center worked best. (But, in today's modern world, more text would be nice.)

Putting a circle object on the map and then dropping text into it seems a bit of effort. I suppose one could also create the numbers in an SVG file 1 to 50 for example and drop the "feature" on the map.

This would save pulling image out of the tool and dropping into another tool to put numbers in colored circles.

(PowerPoint is especially good at it since the fonts don't really alias.)
Circle labels is really good idea. What do you think about it being an option for the label tool?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:34 pm

That works. Text seems like the hardest thing to get just right. (This is not unique to OWM.)

Some people put names in the rooms, some put numbers (depending on real estate).

Putting text in boxes would eliminate the visual noise from the image behind the text. But, that opens a new can of worms? How much inner spacing? Shadows? Border colors.

I haven't had as much play with the underworld mapper ... It has great features and makes very detailed maps. I'm trying to duplicate the old blue and white maps in the day. It looks like it just needs some practice.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 am

IronConrad wrote: Putting text in boxes would eliminate the visual noise from the image behind the text. But, that opens a new can of worms? How much inner spacing? Shadows? Border colors.
Good ideas :D. We'll start it with fewer options but plan for it having the option of more. We'll probably take the chance to make label presets with some pre-configured settings.
IronConrad wrote: I haven't had as much play with the underworld mapper ... It has great features and makes very detailed maps. I'm trying to duplicate the old blue and white maps in the day. It looks like it just needs some practice.
Let us know if you have any ideas that would make it easier .

Thank you !!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software