Images on Maps

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

IronConrad

Images on Maps

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 am

It would be nice to be able to drop a graphic on a map from a JPG or PNG source?

I tried and it put the graphic on the canvas. Perhaps that is what feature are for?

(but it seems like one could do a lot if you could drop the final graphic on the map.)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Images on Maps

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm

IronConrad wrote:It would be nice to be able to drop a graphic on a map from a JPG or PNG source?

I tried and it put the graphic on the canvas. Perhaps that is what feature are for?

(but it seems like one could do a lot if you could drop the final graphic on the map.)
Thank you for the feedback!

We could make it so that it asks if you want to import it as a feature when you drag and drop if that helps? The idea of doing it through the features is so that you can easily share your maps with others, since OWM's don't save graphics themselves but relative links to the file (i.e. it just says "someimage.png" goes here).

If you are using them as backgrounds you can add the image to the canvas like you did, or you can set it as the background of a landmass from the landmass properties.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks Alejandro,

If I understand, you are saying currently it cannot be done. But, you may add it in the future?

(Just making sure I didn't miss it.)

I'll be standing by if it makes it to the feature set.

Thanks!!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:09 pm

IronConrad wrote:Thanks Alejandro,

If I understand, you are saying currently it cannot be done. But, you may add it in the future?

(Just making sure I didn't miss it.)

I'll be standing by if it makes it to the feature set.

Thanks!!
We can add it to the requested features, we routinely add functionality from user feedback :).

Would my suggestion of having it ask you if you wanted imported and added as a "feature"/symbol as you drag it work for you? We want to stay away from it being a free standing image as that could be confusing if you think the image is part of the file.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm thinking one off art for the most part. For example, putting a flag on the side of the map as an embellishment.

Or maybe, a picture of some dice?

I tend to fill up white space on my underworld maps with pictures of the baddies or a sketch of a gate.

I haven't played with the Art Manager but if that would do it, no objection from me.

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 am

Kanchou wrote:OWM's don't save graphics themselves but relative links to the file (i.e. it just says "someimage.png" goes here).
Have you considered a setting to allow (ideally at a per-map level with a global default, but just global would also work) users to set the base path that these links are relative to?

That comes to mind because I'm one of the people anxiously awaiting the Linux port, because I run a dual-boot system and don't want to have to reboot to Windows to work on maps, but I also want to be able to open my maps regardless of which OS I'm in at the time and the two installations will be in different physical directories (different disk partitions, even) and at different paths, so any assets outside of the OWM directory itself aren't going to have the same relative paths from the install directory in both OSes without duplicating them on both filesystems.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 am

nDervish wrote:
Kanchou wrote:OWM's don't save graphics themselves but relative links to the file (i.e. it just says "someimage.png" goes here).
Have you considered a setting to allow (ideally at a per-map level with a global default, but just global would also work) users to set the base path that these links are relative to?

That comes to mind because I'm one of the people anxiously awaiting the Linux port, because I run a dual-boot system and don't want to have to reboot to Windows to work on maps, but I also want to be able to open my maps regardless of which OS I'm in at the time and the two installations will be in different physical directories (different disk partitions, even) and at different paths, so any assets outside of the OWM directory itself aren't going to have the same relative paths from the install directory in both OSes without duplicating them on both filesystems.
Would it work for you if we had a setting to add asset folder paths? The default/mandatory one would be the installation folder path, but then you could add others?

That would work also if you have any resources that you don't want to have to copy/paste into the OWM folder structure but still use.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 am

Kanchou wrote:
nDervish wrote: Have you considered a setting to allow (ideally at a per-map level with a global default, but just global would also work) users to set the base path that these links are relative to?
Would it work for you if we had a setting to add asset folder paths? The default/mandatory one would be the installation folder path, but then you could add others?
Even better!

3l3phant

Post by 3l3phant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:32 pm

I think I second this request :) (I was doing a search here for what methods there were for importing things other than svg files - like I want to do a custom set of icons - and came across this thread. Being able to drag an image (like a png) into the map would be awesome.