A few feature requests

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

MattVG

A few feature requests

Post by MattVG » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm very new to OWM, so please take each of these with a grain of salt.

1) It seems Copy & Paste should drop the duplicate on top of the source rather than at 0, 0.

2) The Select tool and Transform tool could easily be combined into a single tool. Less clicking = more efficiency.

3) It'd be nice to be able to adjust the vertical hex grid label position rather than having it float in the middle of the hex.

4) An option to zoom to the mouse cursor rather than the center of the window would be nice. I like to control where I'm zooming to/from.

5) It'd be nice to be able to move selected objects by larger increments by holding shift and using arrow keys.

6) The dark UI theme darkens a few things, but none of the window backgrounds. I like my UI's all dark.

7) I'm sure it's in the plans, but more textures, styles, and feature sets would be nice. A 2.5D styled feature set would be lovely for overland maps as well as city maps.

8) It seems to me it would be useful to be able to put doors and windows (murder holes) into city walls.

9) I may be missing something, but, though it looks like I should be able to change Line to Bezeier Curve for bridges, I can't.

10) An option to narrow the spacing between the bridge "planks" as they approach the ends of the bridge might add even more of a sense of depth.

11) It'd be nice to be able to add a bit of a fractal wibbly-wobblyness to the edges of a stream so it's not quite so perfect.

And here's a big one that I will attempt to communicate properly:
12) Over the years I've accrued and created a significant number of textures and icons and they're highly organized, but OWM only allows a very limited folder depth with a very strict folder hierarchy which limits my ability to keep my content organized if I want to use it.

One option might be to allow the user to point OWM to a directory in which it can find textures, objects, etc... This would allow the user to use their content without having to copy files anywhere. Just treat each folder as a menu item with and use multiple drop down menus.
This will allow the user to be as organized as they choose to be, use any files in any directories they choose, and will cut down on needing to scroll through many icons to find a specific item.

I think this quick mock-up demonstrates what I'm trying to convey

All in all, Other World Mapper is an amazing product! I hope this list wasn't too overwhelming or disheartening.

EDIT:
I realized I'd messed up on the example, so I fixed it.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: A few feature requests

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am

Welcome to OWM! Sorry for the late reply!
MattVG wrote: All in all, Other World Mapper is an amazing product! I hope this list wasn't too overwhelming or disheartening.
Not at all! On the contrary, we built OWM to be what it is today because of some awesome feedback early on and throughout development. We are always open to feedback and suggestions :)

Team looked over your points. Thank you!! And let us know what you think.

1. We'll look into this for the next release. There are multiple scenarios and in some it does. It depends on what item is selected (if any) when you try to paste (i.e. if it's an item inside a landmass that is selected it will paste centered into that landmass).

2. We've looked into this before, and the consensus is that users like having a tool that they can use to select without worrying about accidentally moving items.
The transform tool lets you do everything the select tool does (inclding selection), so you shouldn't need to use it.

3. We'll add it as a feature request. Thank you!

4. We had a few requests for this change, planning to add it with the next release.

5. Good idea. We'll write it as a feature request.

6. We're redoing the UI with a different UI library, so we'll have the flexibility to do this. This is part of the port to OSX and Linux, so hopefully it will happen with the next release (FYI we'll keep the look and feel as close as the current version so users won't need to re-learn the UI).

7. We'd like to do more, and it depends on what you want to see :). Right now we have some classic overland artwork being done by same artist that did the majority of the artwork. We're introducing art packs slowly to see if users like them.
We're also planning to do some polls, etc. about future art packs. To be honest we didn't know what level of interest there would be in more artwork from us when we started OWM (since OWM is and will always be open to importing artwork)

8. Good idea too! We'll investigate it. The city tools are our newest toolset, so definitely open to adding more functionality to it.

9. This should be available with the next release.

10. We'll look into it. As I mentioned above, city tools are very open for more functionality :).

11. It's something we have planned, as well as more options for the dungeon toolset. Once we are finished with the OSX and Linux ports we'll turn our attention back to it.

12. We'll investigate this. We originally considered going that route via more levels, but a significant number of early users didn't like it (too subdivided). But your idea is good because it would be an optinal behavior (i.e. you don't have several drop downs for category levels you don't use).
It will be a bit further out, but we'll look into it.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

MattVG

Post by MattVG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

Thank you for your reply, Alejandro. I'm glad my ideas weren't too overwhelming. I just keep getting more and more ideas as I use the program.

EDIT:
Oh, and as for the copy-paste thing; the reason I mentioned it is because I was adding ships to an ocean and wanted a fleet, so I copied one and pasted it, but couldn't find it because it had been pasted to the top-left (0,0 I presume) of the map. Eventually I did find my pasted ships, but it wasn't ideal.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

MattVG wrote:Thank you for your reply, Alejandro. I'm glad my ideas weren't too overwhelming. I just keep getting more and more ideas as I use the program.

EDIT:
Oh, and as for the copy-paste thing; the reason I mentioned it is because I was adding ships to an ocean and wanted a fleet, so I copied one and pasted it, but couldn't find it because it had been pasted to the top-left (0,0 I presume) of the map. Eventually I did find my pasted ships, but it wasn't ideal.
That makes a lot of sense, actually :). We'll definitely update the behavior for that case.

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software