Labels do not appear, can't choose layer order (OSX, 0.9.7 Basic)

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

lbleicher

Labels do not appear, can't choose layer order (OSX, 0.9.7 Basic)

Post by lbleicher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 pm

I have just bought OWM for OSX. I've been playing with the basic tools and they seem to work fine, with two exceptions. The first is the Label tool. Whenever I try to create a label, I type something, a new label with whatever I typed appears on the Layers window, but the label itself does not appear on the map I'm editing. I decided to create a new one from scratch without any other layer, but the same happens.

The other problem is about layer order. I created a Water layer, and I would like to add an island into it, so I created a landmass object. It seems to be created correctly, but it does not appear because it is behind the water layer. And I just can't make it appear because, for both the water layer and the landmass layers, the "Layer Order" options that appear when I ctrl-click the layer are unavailable. Any idea on how to fix these two issues?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Labels do not appear, can't choose layer order (OSX, 0.9.7 Basic)

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Welcome to Other World Mapper!
lbleicher wrote:I have just bought OWM for OSX. I've been playing with the basic tools and they seem to work fine, with two exceptions. The first is the Label tool. Whenever I try to create a label, I type something, a new label with whatever I typed appears on the Layers window, but the label itself does not appear on the map I'm editing. I decided to create a new one from scratch without any other layer, but the same happens.
What version of OSX are you running, so we can try to reproduce the issue? There was an issue with labels under OSX in early Beta, but it was fixed a few revs ago.
lbleicher wrote: The other problem is about layer order. I created a Water layer, and I would like to add an island into it, so I created a landmass object. It seems to be created correctly, but it does not appear because it is behind the water layer. And I just can't make it appear because, for both the water layer and the landmass layers, the "Layer Order" options that appear when I ctrl-click the layer are unavailable. Any idea on how to fix these two issues?
Water layers are children of the landmass, what you would want to do in this case is create a "hole" in the lake using the water tool in "subtract mode" (from the toolbar at the top), or create a new lake and subtract one from the other using "Merge Paths" --> "Difference"

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lbleicher

Post by lbleicher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi, I'm using macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

I couldn't find the "subtract mode", but the second solution worked fine, thanks!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:48 am

lbleicher wrote:Hi, I'm using macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

I couldn't find the "subtract mode", but the second solution worked fine, thanks!
You can put the tool subtract mode from the top
subtract.png
subtract.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 10392 times
On the labels issue, we'll still investigating and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Sounds like a dependency for the text library is not installed for your system while it's installed for most people.

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lbleicher

Post by lbleicher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Kanchou wrote:
lbleicher wrote:Hi, I'm using macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

You can put the tool subtract mode from the top
subtract.png

On the labels issue, we'll still investigating and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Sounds like a dependency for the text library is not installed for your system while it's installed for most people.

Thank you!
Should I install it manually then? Which package should I look for?

Thanks!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

lbleicher wrote:
Should I install it manually then? Which package should I look for?

Thanks!
Currently investigating. The library is "Pango" which OWM includes, so it must be one of Pango's dependencies.

We are not sure exactly what dependency is causing the issue yet, so I can't tell for sure what package to install. You are the first person to have this issue.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lbleicher

Post by lbleicher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Great news: I installed Pango using homebrew and now the labels are appearing!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:50 am

lbleicher wrote:Great news: I installed Pango using homebrew and now the labels are appearing!
That's great news! Sorry you had to install Pango by hand, we'll still continue investigating the issue. Pango is a fairly standard/common library, so it maybe that OWM is not installing it properly and most people already have it in their system.

Again, thank you! And please let us know if you come across any other issues!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software