Mac art manager importing issue

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

norith

Mac art manager importing issue

Post by norith » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 pm

I have v0.9.6 Mac (Mac OS 10.14.4) and I'm having trouble creating new Feature folders and categories. When they're created by the Art Manager they have system permissions and as a user I don't have permission to rename them or create new folders or files in them. If I navigate to the folder manually I can change the folder permissions and grant access to myself and I can manage the contents of the new feature.

Which brings up a larger issue, the .app folder itself is typically replaced by new versions of the app, I'm assuming that you're assuming that an installer will always be used which will be scripted to only replace specific portions of the .app folder and not the entire folder, an issue as the folder has been customized by each user that uses the Art Manager and these customizations will be lost.

Typically Mac apps store this kind of content in the

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/[app name]/...
folder to avoid this kind of issue, so that the app itself can be tossed or replaced as desired. I think it's import to mention to new users on the Mac that the app itself is special and not to delete it, as it is a unique case. Typically most devs also don't touch the .app folder as the entire thing can be hashed to ensure that it hasn't been tampered with.

Also, another consideration, many Mac backup tools don't backup the app folder as they're considered replaceable files and not important. In this case there could be substantial effort embedded in the Art Manager.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Mac art manager importing issue

Post by Kanchou » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm

norith wrote:I have v0.9.6 Mac (Mac OS 10.14.4) and I'm having trouble creating new Feature folders and categories. When they're created by the Art Manager they have system permissions and as a user I don't have permission to rename them or create new folders or files in them. If I navigate to the folder manually I can change the folder permissions and grant access to myself and I can manage the contents of the new feature.

Which brings up a larger issue, the .app folder itself is typically replaced by new versions of the app, I'm assuming that you're assuming that an installer will always be used which will be scripted to only replace specific portions of the .app folder and not the entire folder, an issue as the folder has been customized by each user that uses the Art Manager and these customizations will be lost.

Typically Mac apps store this kind of content in the

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/[app name]/...
folder to avoid this kind of issue, so that the app itself can be tossed or replaced as desired. I think it's import to mention to new users on the Mac that the app itself is special and not to delete it, as it is a unique case. Typically most devs also don't touch the .app folder as the entire thing can be hashed to ensure that it hasn't been tampered with.

Also, another consideration, many Mac backup tools don't backup the app folder as they're considered replaceable files and not important. In this case there could be substantial effort embedded in the Art Manager.
Excellent points! We are doing that for themes and feature lists, features got left in the app folder for legacy reasons. The permissions weren't a problem up to High Sierra.

We are close to release v0.9.7, we'll change it so that features don't recide in the app folder.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

norith

Post by norith » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:57 am

Sorry, for the late reply.

Thanks for the recent update!

My comments were a bit terse, but I'm really enjoying the app by the way – it's one of the few mapping tools not written in Flash or a online browser app but that actually works and is fun to use. Congratulations and thanks.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 am

norith wrote:Sorry, for the late reply.

Thanks for the recent update!

My comments were a bit terse, but I'm really enjoying the app by the way – it's one of the few mapping tools not written in Flash or a online browser app but that actually works and is fun to use. Congratulations and thanks.
Really happy to hear that!! :)

And not at all, really appreciate the feedback! Let us know if you come across any additional issues with this latest release or have any feedback.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software