Afterimages that will not go away

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

SJPaladin

Afterimages that will not go away

Post by SJPaladin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm

I have several textual afterimages that will not go away.
I had 3-4 on a partition of map, and when I repartitioned that into smaller pieces they went away. Then when working on a completely other section, one of them reappeared. They are text images of something I had there previously, but they stay there, and I can't get rid of them. They are not real (when I select them there is nothing there to select) so I can't delete or edit them. When I attempt to place objects (like landscape) where they are, the afterimage stays on the top layer, clearly visible. I've tried saving map, closing program and reloading, but they are still there. Considering how difficult it is to work with a map of the size I am using I would love a simple way to get rid of these images.
The idea of having to start the map over is not at all appealing as I have a huge amount of work invested already.

SJPaladin

Re: Afterimages that will not go away

Post by SJPaladin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 pm

I just had another one appear. I moved a feature along with its text label. About 25 minutes later the text label reappeared where it was previously, but it was still where I moved it as well. I wanted a lake near where the afterimage was, so I placed one there. Now the image is floating over the lake inaccurately labelling the lake as a kingdom several hundred miles away.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:53 am

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm not sure what's going on since it's not just an after image by your description (it's still there after close/reload).

Would it be possible for you to email us your email us the map at info@threemindssoftware.com?

Also, are you on Windows or OSX?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

SJPaladin

Post by SJPaladin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 am

I sent the file, but forgot to specify its Windows.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 pm

SJPaladin wrote:I sent the file, but forgot to specify its Windows.

Thank you!!

I wrote back but wanted to close the loop here too.

"It looks like when you split Landmass 5 to create the fractures, the labels got copied to all the new fractures so you ended up with copies of them for every landmass. And because they were so far outside the landmass itself they were drawn, but OWM wouldn’t let you select them.
That is definitely a bug with OWM so we’ll fix that with the next release (Thank you for the report!)

For now, you can browse to them using the layers window and select/delete the additional labels. They won’t show up again because this is only a bug in the partition."

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

SJPaladin

Post by SJPaladin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 am

So there were MANY duplicate labels (in some cases 6+ versions of one), but once they were all deleted, things were fine. I now know how what to look for if/when the problem reoccurs, and the fix does not take that long.

Thanks for the solution, and thanks for the awesome product.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 pm

SJPaladin wrote:So there were MANY duplicate labels (in some cases 6+ versions of one), but once they were all deleted, things were fine. I now know how what to look for if/when the problem reoccurs, and the fix does not take that long.

Thanks for the solution, and thanks for the awesome product.
Thank you for your help! Glad that workaround helped! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lbleicher

Post by lbleicher » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:34 am

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new topic as it seems to be a similar issue:

I'm using the OSX version, and when I copy and paste multiple objects, weird stuff happens.

I'm working on a hex grid on which some hexes are similar, so what I'm doing is working on a hex (specifically, I create an hexagonal landmass for it, then a feature - a Cartouche - in the middle of the hex, and a text inside the cartouche. In other hexes I have something like an hexagonal landmass, a feature - a city from Basic Fantasy Items - in the middle, a label below the city and another label above it. Since I'll be using these hexes many times, what I do is use the Box Select tool to copy all this stuff then do control+click then past to put it in the new blank hex I'll be work on, fine adjust its place with the Transform Tool, and then modify the text to reflect what should be in the new hex. Then the weird stuff happens:

Most commonly, when I edit the labels with the Text Label tool I find out there are more than one label superimposed. So I go through the the Layers tool to try to get rid of those extras, and sometimes I managed to do it - but sometimes there are labels that persist on the map and I just can't select them for deletion, or even find them on the Layers window. At the moment I have a map I started not long ago but I can't continue on it because there's this "ghost label" I can't select or remove. Any hint on how to deal with this issue?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 am

lbleicher wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new topic as it seems to be a similar issue:

I'm using the OSX version, and when I copy and paste multiple objects, weird stuff happens.

I'm working on a hex grid on which some hexes are similar, so what I'm doing is working on a hex (specifically, I create an hexagonal landmass for it, then a feature - a Cartouche - in the middle of the hex, and a text inside the cartouche. In other hexes I have something like an hexagonal landmass, a feature - a city from Basic Fantasy Items - in the middle, a label below the city and another label above it. Since I'll be using these hexes many times, what I do is use the Box Select tool to copy all this stuff then do control+click then past to put it in the new blank hex I'll be work on, fine adjust its place with the Transform Tool, and then modify the text to reflect what should be in the new hex. Then the weird stuff happens:

Most commonly, when I edit the labels with the Text Label tool I find out there are more than one label superimposed. So I go through the the Layers tool to try to get rid of those extras, and sometimes I managed to do it - but sometimes there are labels that persist on the map and I just can't select them for deletion, or even find them on the Layers window. At the moment I have a map I started not long ago but I can't continue on it because there's this "ghost label" I can't select or remove. Any hint on how to deal with this issue?
Looking into it today. Sorry for the delay!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lbleicher

Post by lbleicher » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm

No problem!
The "ghost caption" seemed to vanish after I restarted the computer. The multiple copies when I copy a set of objects still happen though.