OSX Issues

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

aotte

Re: OSX Issues

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Travel routes:
This might be considered a functionality issue, but in my mind, it feels like a bug.
  • Travel routes cannot have points that fall outside landmasses
  • Travel routes cannot span landmasses
My conundrum is, how do I document seafaring and air travel routes?
MacBookPro 13" w/ TouchBar on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 3.3 GHz (2 cores) RAM 16 GB

AnthonyAir

Post by AnthonyAir » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Aotte,

Thanks for the advice! I found it is very finicky but I have found a way for the region tool to follow shorelines and it is more of a manual line rather than a contour auto.

I still have no way of using the feature tool, though, so every time I try to create a feature the program crashes immediately. I am only able to use about 75-80 percent of the tools without the program crashing, but the feature tool is a sure guaranteed crash.

A.A.

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 pm

AnthonyAir wrote: I still have no way of using the feature tool, though, so every time I try to create a feature the program crashes immediately. I am only able to use about 75-80 percent of the tools without the program crashing, but the feature tool is a sure guaranteed crash.
There were three things that caused a lot of the crashes for me:
  • Better Touch Tool; I have paused it for OWM
  • High resolution maps, I'm currently working with US Letter size and it still crashes on occasion when I do long railroads or rivers
  • Highly detailed fractals. I stay on the default setting or lower, not higher
I'm currently waiting for the folks of Three Minds to get the current batch of fixes out before I try any high-density maps again.

For the Feature Tool, I would go for lower-density maps (if you are higher than the default) and zoom in as tight as you can before clicking the Feature Tool button. That seems to have done the trick for me. There are other issues with the Feature tool, but I have not had time to document them.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 am

aotte wrote:New one:

Railroads do not get saved to the OWM file. To reproduce:
  • Create new map, leave everything default
  • Create a landmass
  • Create a railroad
  • Save map
  • Close map
  • Re-open saved map
  • No more railroad
Thank you! Will fix.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

aotte wrote:Travel routes:
This might be considered a functionality issue, but in my mind, it feels like a bug.
  • Travel routes cannot have points that fall outside landmasses
  • Travel routes cannot span landmasses
My conundrum is, how do I document seafaring and air travel routes?
You can start the travel route with a point in the canvas instead of a landmass (and you can always move that point after anyways). Basically any items placed directly on the canvas that aren't landmasses will be higher in the Z-Order than landmasses and their children.

That way you can do features, text and travel routes that span landmasses.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am

AnthonyAir wrote:Aotte,

Thanks for the advice! I found it is very finicky but I have found a way for the region tool to follow shorelines and it is more of a manual line rather than a contour auto.

I still have no way of using the feature tool, though, so every time I try to create a feature the program crashes immediately. I am only able to use about 75-80 percent of the tools without the program crashing, but the feature tool is a sure guaranteed crash.

A.A.
Thank you for the feedback!

Can you start a new thread with this? I have a few questions for you since we haven't had other reports of crashes with the Feature Tool.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Kanchou wrote:You can start the travel route with a point in the canvas instead of a landmass (and you can always move that point after anyways). Basically any items placed directly on the canvas that aren't landmasses will be higher in the Z-Order than landmasses and their children.
If I'm understanding correctly: Make sure you start in layer with a higher Z-order than all the landmasses (etc.) that you want to span across. The Canvas being root will therefore always work. It seems to hold true when I test. Correct?
Last edited by aotte on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 pm

I did find another one (two if you count the zoom not taking a numeric value) with travel routes that crashes OWM. Here are the steps to reproduce:
  • Start OWM, accept all defaults until on the standard new map canvas
  • Select Zoom tool
  • Zoom in using 500% (Note how entering the digits 5-0-0 does not work, you need to select from the drop down)
  • Select Travel Route Tool
  • Click one point on canvas; move mouse; right click to finish single leg route
  • Spinning color wheel and a crash will follow
This approach with the Zoom to 500% first seems to bring about the screen mirroring with the Feature Tool for me and serious delays in almost all other tools.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm

This should be fixed with Beta 2 coming out this week.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:37 am

Kanchou wrote:This should be fixed with Beta 2 coming out this week.
Looking forward to it.