OSX Issues

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: OSX Issues

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:38 pm

aotte wrote: I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoy the Follow Contour option and vector graphics for scaling. I'll be gushing about those for a while. It's my main beef with all the other tools I tried. Of course, that does beg the question when features will become vector based as well. ;)
Happy to hear!! :)

OWM does support SVG/vector artwork and the "Cartography" feature set is an SVG set I made as a sample. Sadly, our main artist we contract out isn't familiar with the format so we haven't had a chance to create more of that type of artwork. Definitely planned and definitely supported if you find it elsewhere/make it yourself :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Some more findings:
  • Features list is unordered
    Also a typo in "Mange" vs. "Manage"
    UnsortedFeatureList.png
    UnsortedFeatureList.png (240.87 KiB) Viewed 12852 times
  • Cannot save custom themes
    TryingToSaveLandMassFillToMyTheme.png
    TryingToSaveLandMassFillToMyTheme.png (78.88 KiB) Viewed 12852 times
MacBookPro 13" w/ TouchBar on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 3.3 GHz (2 cores) RAM 16 GB

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:10 am

Thank you!

We were able to reproduce and are well into fixing all the issues, with the exception of the labels issue. We aren't sure what's going on there.

We built with libraries linked statically to avoid this type of problem, so I'm not sure. Question if you don't mind, is libcairo, libfontconfig, libgettext and/or libfreetype install on your Mac? Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Alejandro,

A quick search in Finder did not pop up any of the lib* names you provided.

I hope to have some more time this weekend to work on my map, so I might have more to report and maybe better instructions to reproduce.

Let me know when and how you want me to install the new beta version and if there are any specific steps I need to take.

Arnoud.

aotte

Post by aotte » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:24 pm

OK, some more detail on the text label issue:
  • Start OWM, accept all defaults until on the default canvas
  • Click Label Tool
  • Type "This is a label" or something else, do nothing else but typing, no clicking anywhere
  • The Layers window does not show the label object
  • Click anywhere, the layer window now shows the label as a child of the canvas
  • When you select the label, you can see just up in the top left corner of the canvas that something is selected, but I cannot enlarge it at all even when zooming in up to 2000%
  • So I guess the label tool suffers from the 0,0 top left corner affinity problem. ;)
I have enlarged the top left canvas corner in the screenshot below.
TextLabelIssue.png
TextLabelIssue.png (191.96 KiB) Viewed 12834 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:10 am

Thank you!

We just figured out what's going on :). One of the libraries we are linking statically (fontconfig) needs a path created which would normally happen if you are running the libs installer.

So, we'll fix that for the next version.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 am

Kanchou wrote: We just figured out what's going on :). [...]

So, we'll fix that for the next version.

Thank you again!
You are welcome. More info for you to fix things, a better OWM for me and others. :)

AnthonyAir

Post by AnthonyAir » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

I am having an issue where the program crashes randomly. Not sure of the cause, but expectedly occurs fifteen minutes into a session right after I've established landmasses and regions. As soon as I start using the feature tool, the program crashes and shuts down. The error message is not the user/alejandro crash message that I've experienced as well, but this one just shuts down as if the map is already clogged and it cannot function by adding features.

I think someone else has mentioned, but I am not sure, so just in case, the fact that the region tool borders do not conform to shoreline boundaries is another issue I've faced.

Program looks great, just looking for a session to last through the completion of a map without crashing.

Thanks,
A.A.

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm

AnthonyAir wrote:I think someone else has mentioned, but I am not sure, so just in case, the fact that the region tool borders do not conform to shoreline boundaries is another issue I've faced.
Anthony,

I found that OWM is finicky with the alignment. Here's my approach (for the shoreline, you can read boundaries or regions I believe as OWM will try to match any line that you have chose to follow):
  • First hover the mouse over the shoreline you want it to follow and make sure OWM shows you a circular marker (they don't always stick, you might have to try a few times, esp. if you are zoomed out below 100%) This will tell OWM which shoreline to follow.
  • Pick a point further down/up the shoreline until you get another circular marker, the fractal should start to match your shoreline. Click and you have your first segment. If you jump shorelines you are effectively doing the first step again.
It also helps if you zoom in for selecting prpoer start end and points, this is especially true for landmass partition lines.

If you have a smaller island, note that OWM will choose the shorter of the two paths between your starting point and the chosen endpoint.

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

New one:

Railroads do not get saved to the OWM file. To reproduce:
  • Create new map, leave everything default
  • Create a landmass
  • Create a railroad
  • Save map
  • Close map