OSX Issues

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

aotte

OSX Issues

Post by aotte » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the public OSX beta. Already plugging away and running into some things. System set-up in signature. Here's what I found so far:
  • A commonly recurring debug dialog box.
    Usually triggered by key presses in a modal dialog. No clean clear pattern but happens very often. I have clicked the "do not show again" to be able to do additional testing.
    Debug dialog that keeps popping up
    Debug dialog that keeps popping up
    wxWidgetsDebugAlert.png (193.33 KiB) Viewed 12759 times
  • Features tool causes crash after sucking down CPU
    The easiest way to replicate this that I have found is to: Open OtherWorldMapper ; Click New Map ; Click OK ; View | Fit to Screen ; Select Landmass Tool ; Draw landmass by setting four points in the farthest corners of the canvas to create a landmass that covers most of the canvas ; from here OWM will start to spin CPU cycles up and eventually crash. From the Apple Crash Report:
    Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffeee9bb878
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

On a related note, I have seen the screen mirror across a diagonal when selecting the Feature Tool. So top left corner becomes bottom right corner with text mirrored. This imagery then sits below the OWM components seemingly on the bare canvas of the app window.
  • Region Tool
    When drawing a large region that should follow the edge, it seems the Region Tool starts to include (0,0) as one of its points when I deviate too much from the shoreline. I have not yet found a way to confidently replicate the issue.
I'll report out again when I have more.

Signing off.
MacBookPro 13" w/ TouchBar on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 3.3 GHz (2 cores) RAM 16 GB

aotte

Re: OSX Issues

Post by aotte » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:26 am

Getting more and more excited about OWM. I love the "following the edge" feature. Although I cannot make the measurement tool work. Not sure if this is a user or a beta issue. It just keeps on creating new segments and never measuring anything. Also, the Text Label Tool has similar issues, which again could be operator error.

I was wrong about the diagonal flip. It seems to be across the horizontal axis. I marked the mirroring with red and the scrollbar droppings with green.
Mirroring and scrollbar droppings
Mirroring and scrollbar droppings
FlippedScreenAndScrollbarDroppings.png (200.36 KiB) Viewed 12750 times
I also observed that when the Feature tool does come up the toolbar content first shows up at the top of the canvas, before it gets redrawn on the toolbar, at which time it disappears from the canvas. Commonly, this is when scrollbar droppings occur as well.

Several crashes, relatively unpredictable, but all seemingly related to eating up the CPU. Best guess at this time, it is when large screen refreshes are required and run through.

More feedback coming as I learn more. I'll try to get a few more reproducible scenarios going.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback! :)

We'll start working through the issues Monday and will reply with questions if we have trouble reproducing.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Apologies I missed one step on the Feature Tool crash issue, correction in underlined italics:

Features tool causes crash after sucking down CPU
The easiest way to replicate this that I have found is to: Open OtherWorldMapper ; Click New Map ; Click OK ; View | Fit to Screen ; Select Landmass Tool ; Draw landmass by setting four points in the farthest corners of the canvas to create a landmass that covers most of the canvas ; Click the Feature Tool ; from here OWM will start to spin CPU cycles up and eventually crash. From the Apple Crash Report:

aotte

Post by aotte » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm

OK, turning off BetterTouchTool when running OWM seems to have cured the crashes that were occurring.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:13 pm

aotte wrote: A commonly recurring debug dialog box.
Usually triggered by key presses in a modal dialog. No clean clear pattern but happens very often. I have clicked the "do not show again" to be able to do additional testing.
Working on clearing that one out already. Thank you!
aotte wrote: On a related note, I have seen the screen mirror across a diagonal when selecting the Feature Tool. So top left corner becomes bottom right corner with text mirrored. This imagery then sits below the OWM components seemingly on the bare canvas of the app window.
That is really odd. Thank you!
aotte wrote: Region Tool
When drawing a large region that should follow the edge, it seems the Region Tool starts to include (0,0) as one of its points when I deviate too much from the shoreline. I have not yet found a way to confidently replicate the issue.
We'll look into it. Ty!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 pm

aotte wrote:OK, turning off BetterTouchTool when running OWM seems to have cured the crashes that were occurring.
Were those the CPU sucking crashes from the earlier post? Did it get rid of all of them?

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm

I've installed the Windows version on an old Windows machine I have to make sure I understand what proper functionality looks like. Now that I have seen what is possible, I am even more eager to get the Mac version going. :)
  • Features tool causes crash after sucking down CPU
    Still occurs when BTT (BetterTouchTool) turned off for OWM. The easiest way to replicate this that I have found is to Open OtherWorldMapper ; Click New Map ; Click OK ; View | Fit to Screen ; Select Landmass Tool ; Draw landmass by setting four points in the farthest corners of the canvas to create a landmass that covers most of the canvas ; Click the Feature Tool ; from here OWM will start to spin CPU cycles up and eventually crash. From the Apple Crash Report:
  • I cannot properly quit from application
    Command-Q and the Quit menu option, do not terminate the application. Closing the main window more or less does, but will generate an Apple crash report: "Other World Mapper quit unexpectedly."
  • Measuring tool
    It displays the path correctly but does not show any distances at the mouse cursor, nor any of the intermediate points.
  • Text Label Tool
    It does not produce a prompt to type text at.
Last edited by aotte on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aotte

Post by aotte » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Sorry, did not directly answer your question as I had a draft reply already in the works.

Turning BetterTouchTool off has cured almost all of the crashes. But it still happens. I have noticed that it primarily happens on large resolution maps. I really have to stay simple. I.e. fractal 5 not 8, 3kx2k sizes, not beyond. I should have the memory and CPU power, as those settings do seem to work fine on my Windows machine, which has a less CPU, same memory (i5 1.7MHz, 16GB Windows 10).

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoy the Follow Contour option and vector graphics for scaling. I'll be gushing about those for a while. It's my main beef with all the other tools I tried. Of course, that does beg the question when features will become vector based as well. ;)

aotte

Post by aotte » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Found one surefire way to crash OWM-OSX on my machine.

Start OWM, load the attached map (Pangean with partitions) and Command-A to select all and it will crash almost instantaneously.

I have been able to replicate this with less granular maps as well, as well as with the Selection Tool.
Attachments
LargeTest.owm.zip
Sample file of large map
(161.66 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Last edited by aotte on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.