Artifacts when modifying stuff on the map

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Hoist

Artifacts when modifying stuff on the map

Post by Hoist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Sometimes when i edit stuff on the map i get some rendering artifacts

Have a look at the image in the link http://bayimg.com/HaLghaAGG , there i have just edited some nodes in the yellow boundary and now the square that holds that boundary does not show the texture of the landmass but only the background image. This will be redrawn and fixed as soon as i move the position of anything on the map but it is annoying.

If it will not be fixed it would at least be nice to have a button that redraws the map(moving stuff all the time is annoying)
Stop signatures, sign the petition now.
www.stopsignatures.com

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Artifacts when modifying stuff on the map

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Hoist wrote:Sometimes when i edit stuff on the map i get some rendering artifacts

Have a look at the image in the link http://bayimg.com/HaLghaAGG , there i have just edited some nodes in the yellow boundary and now the square that holds that boundary does not show the texture of the landmass but only the background image. This will be redrawn and fixed as soon as i move the position of anything on the map but it is annoying.

If it will not be fixed it would at least be nice to have a button that redraws the map(moving stuff all the time is annoying)
We always fix bugs, even if it takes us a while :) I remember this bug as something that appeared only in Windows Vista and we had fixed a long while ago.

* Are you running Vista? If not, what version of Windows?
* Is it one particular map or particular item type/layout that causes it? Or it can be anything?

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Hoist

Post by Hoist » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm running windows 10 home 64 bit

I know for sure it happens when editing boundaries using the Edit Shape Tool, not 100% but often and there might be other scenarios where it happens as well.
I seem to remember seeing it when doing regions as well.
I tried to reproduce it quickly on another new map using only the assets included with the software but couldn't see it there, didn't try for very long though.

If you want to look at the map where i had the problem it can be found here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
The shared folder also has the textures, icons, font used since i was unsure if it was saved within the .owm file
Stop signatures, sign the petition now.
www.stopsignatures.com

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you for sending your map. It'll help a lot. We'll look into the problem and have it fixed for the next release.

-Katie

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Hoist wrote:I'm running windows 10 home 64 bit I know for sure it happens when editing boundaries using the Edit Shape Tool, not 100% but often and there might be other scenarios where it happens as well.
Found the bug. It will only happen when the parent landmass has a background (so, for now you can disable the background while you are editing items, then re-enable when you are finished). It will be fixed with V0.9.4 which we will start regression testing for shortly.

We'll consider a "refresh" command....but part of why we don't have it is because you should not need one if we do our job.

This particular one was an excellent example, it showed a bug with the background code and the test procedure.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

mark

Post by mark » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 am

Several times I've had a similar but fairly infrequent issue using both V0.9.3 & V0.9.4 when editing Text-Labels, although these text artefacts will usually go away if I drag an object over the text artefact or open and close the program. It is a very minor issue and so I didn't think to keep a map with such an artefact on at the moment as I usually resolve it straight away, but I thought you may like to know.

I can't see any pattern to it at the moment, it seems pretty random, but I've only ever seen it when working with big maps. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Vikingr -- 9th century PbP using Mythras

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:11 pm

mark wrote:Several times I've had a similar but fairly infrequent issue using both V0.9.3 & V0.9.4 when editing Text-Labels, although these text artefacts will usually go away if I drag an object over the text artefact or open and close the program. It is a very minor issue and so I didn't think to keep a map with such an artefact on at the moment as I usually resolve it straight away, but I thought you may like to know.

I can't see any pattern to it at the moment, it seems pretty random, but I've only ever seen it when working with big maps. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Do you see that happening with point or path labels, or is it both?

-Katie

mark

Post by mark » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I've mostly used path labels, so would assume it was that.
Vikingr -- 9th century PbP using Mythras