New From Selection Distorts/Leaves Out Colligated Features

Report new issues and add information on existing ones.

Moderator: Kyete

Langy

New From Selection Distorts/Leaves Out Colligated Features

Post by Langy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:39 am

I encountered a bit of a bug with the New From Selection tool. The landmasses, rivers, and lakes work just fine when you use New From Selection, as do any non-Colligated features - but the Colligated ones don't. Any feature that has been Colligated is transformed in what seems to be a random way (in my case, most of the colligated features were moved off the visible area of the map, and the spacing between the colligated features was randomized so they no longer had the same shape and density as they originally did).

Also, I expected the river lines to be expanded when I increased the scale factor, but they weren't. I'm not sure that that's a bug, but it is a bit annoying due to the way I set the rivers up in the smaller original.

(It's also annoying that all the landmasses get renamed to '<Original Name> Copy')

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: New From Selection Distorts/Leaves Out Colligated Features

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 am

Welcome! And thank you for the bug reports and your help!
Langy wrote:I encountered a bit of a bug with the New From Selection tool. The landmasses, rivers, and lakes work just fine when you use New From Selection, as do any non-Colligated features - but the Colligated ones don't. Any feature that has been Colligated is transformed in what seems to be a random way (in my case, most of the colligated features were moved off the visible area of the map, and the spacing between the colligated features was randomized so they no longer had the same shape and density as they originally did).
You are correct. This issue will be fixed with the next release coming before the end of the month (or early May)
Langy wrote:Also, I expected the river lines to be expanded when I increased the scale factor, but they weren't. I'm not sure that that's a bug, but it is a bit annoying due to the way I set the rivers up in the smaller original.
Do you mean like the outline thickness of the river? Or other objects such as landmasses? That's something in our "to do list" right now, but probably won't make it by the next release. The idea is that it would be optional, so you could select to scale line widths, etc or not.
Langy wrote:It's also annoying that all the landmasses get renamed to '<Original Name> Copy')
Good catch! Thank you! We will fix it with the next release.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Langy

Post by Langy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

Kanchou wrote:Welcome! And thank you for the bug reports and your help!
You're welcome. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the program - easier to use and resulting in nicer-looking maps than Campaign Cartographer and Fractal Mapper, and not nearly as demanding in time and with features like fractal landmasses and map-specific tools that are missing from Photoshop.
Langy wrote:Also, I expected the river lines to be expanded when I increased the scale factor, but they weren't. I'm not sure that that's a bug, but it is a bit annoying due to the way I set the rivers up in the smaller original.
Do you mean like the outline thickness of the river? Or other objects such as landmasses? That's something in our "to do list" right now, but probably won't make it by the next release. The idea is that it would be optional, so you could select to scale line widths, etc or not.
I was specifically referring to the river width, not the outline thickness. For example, if I lay down a 3 px wide river, then do New From Selection on that landmass and make it 400% of the original size, the river's 'start size' and 'end size' both remain 3 px wide. I'm happy with the outlines staying the same size, but an optional setting to scale up the river thickness (at least) would be nice.

Also, and I wouldn't call this a bug so much as a questionable design choice, but it may be better to make it so rivers with branches retain the separate branches as separate 'rivers' all combined into a single 'river group' in the Rivers section of the Layers panel - as is, when you connect two rivers with different start sizes or end sizes, you can no longer individually modify the branches start size or end size, and you can't even see what they were - the start size/end size box for that river (after selecting it again) is blanked out. This makes it so that you need to completely redraw the river if you do a New From Selection, resize the landmass, and then want the rivers to scale in size with everything else (presumably because you want to indicate that the river is x miles wide or whatever).

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Langy wrote: You're welcome. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the program - easier to use and resulting in nicer-looking maps than Campaign Cartographer and Fractal Mapper, and not nearly as demanding in time and with features like fractal landmasses and map-specific tools that are missing from Photoshop.
That's wonderful to hear, thank you!
Langy wrote:I was specifically referring to the river width, not the outline thickness. For example, if I lay down a 3 px wide river, then do New From Selection on that landmass and make it 400% of the original size, the river's 'start size' and 'end size' both remain 3 px wide. I'm happy with the outlines staying the same size, but an optional setting to scale up the river thickness (at least) would be nice.
That's an excellent point. We'll try to add that functionality with this upcoming release. Thank you!
Langy wrote:Also, and I wouldn't call this a bug so much as a questionable design choice, but it may be better to make it so rivers with branches retain the separate branches as separate 'rivers' all combined into a single 'river group' in the Rivers section of the Layers panel - as is, when you connect two rivers with different start sizes or end sizes, you can no longer individually modify the branches start size or end size, and you can't even see what they were - the start size/end size box for that river (after selecting it again) is blanked out. This makes it so that you need to completely redraw the river if you do a New From Selection, resize the landmass, and then want the rivers to scale in size with everything else (presumably because you want to indicate that the river is x miles wide or whatever).
You should be able to "subselect" river branches by clicking on the branch when the river is already selected. When you do that, the individual branch's start and end sizes should appear on the properties window.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Langy

Post by Langy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Kanchou wrote:You should be able to "subselect" river branches by clicking on the branch when the river is already selected. When you do that, the individual branch's start and end sizes should appear on the properties window.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Ah, so you can! Didn't realize that. That solves the problem, though I still think being able to select them individually in the Layer window would be useful.

Thanks, both for the tip and for addressing my concerns!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Langy wrote: Ah, so you can! Didn't realize that. That solves the problem, though I still think being able to select them individually in the Layer window would be useful. Thanks, both for the tip and for addressing my concerns!
Our pleasure!

Having the option of branches appearing on the layers is a good idea, we'll look into it. Working with branches of open path objects (rivers, roads, etc) individually is on our to do list for V1.1. A pending functionality request we have is for the ability to select outline width and colors for branches instead of just the width, so it's something we have planned for future releases.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software