Various Bugs

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

outzenj

Various Bugs

Post by outzenj » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm

So I haven't been paying much attention to OWM for a while, but I'm starting a new campaign soon so I'm putting it through its paces. Here's some various bugs that I've found:
  • Copy/paste of grouped objects breaks the grouping
  • Editing label text sometimes results in two labels - one with the old text and one with the new. The "old" label doesn't always show up right away either - sometimes I don't notice it until I've closed and reopened the file.
  • I have some labels that won't go over some objects. Thanks to this thread I've realized that it's because the objects aren't associated with the same parent landmass as the label. But they should be (my landmass covers the entire canvas). So I guess this is maybe a few interrelated bugs/feature requests:
    • Why would an object not be associated with a landmass that it's placed on?
    • Is there any way to change an object's landmass-association?
    • Labels should (arguably) be on top of everything, no matter how the objects are associated.
  • The Union functionality sometimes produces unexpected results:
    Here's an ellipse with a rectangle placed over it:
    And here's what happens when you union the two shapes:
  • Likewise, the "Shapes" tool, using the "Subtract" feature, seems pretty unpredictable. This one's a little harder to demonstrate, but I was pretty quickly able to create the following shape:
    Note how the gap in the upper right doesn't line up with the grid lines (this is with snap to grid turned on). Also, I can't select the shape by clicking on the left half, and when I select the right half, I only get a bounding box around that. To go a step further, when I deleted the shape, only the right half deleted, while the left half stayed on the canvas - but I still can't select it, and it doesn't appear in the Layers pane. Reopening the file fixed that.
  • I'm using the road tool a lot (city map), and I've found that, when adding branches, it sometimes "simplifies" the roads in unexpected ways. I can't consistently replicate this (undo and retry seems to change the behavior), but for example, let's say I have the following roads:
    And I'm trying to add a new branch like this:
    I might get a result like this instead:
Overall, so far I've been pretty successful in getting nice-looking results. The only real problem with my map right now is the shapes that don't layer properly with labels. The union/subtract issue and the copy/paste group issue would make things easier for dealing with complex building shapes, but I can still get something close.

outzenj

Re: Various Bugs

Post by outzenj » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 am

I think I figured out what's going on with the shapes that aren't associated with a landmass. I "staged" these shapes in an other map - one that didn't have any landmasses - and copy/pasted these shapes into my map. Since the original map didn't have any landmasses, I think that the copy/paste resulted in the shape having no landmass in the new map either.

I've found that if a shape is already associated with a landmass, you can copy/paste it into another landmass, but if it's not associated with a landmass to begin with, there doesn't seem to be a way to change that.

Also, remembered another one that missed:
  • The New Map button doesn't work consistently - maybe 3 out of every 4 clicks brings up the New Map dialog.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm

outzenj wrote:I think I figured out what's going on with the shapes that aren't associated with a landmass. I "staged" these shapes in an other map - one that didn't have any landmasses - and copy/pasted these shapes into my map. Since the original map didn't have any landmasses, I think that the copy/paste resulted in the shape having no landmass in the new map either.

I've found that if a shape is already associated with a landmass, you can copy/paste it into another landmass, but if it's not associated with a landmass to begin with, there doesn't seem to be a way to change that.

Also, remembered another one that missed:
  • The New Map button doesn't work consistently - maybe 3 out of every 4 clicks brings up the New Map dialog.
Thank you for the great feedback!!! I listed your points and added our answers in red. Let us know if we missed anything.

1. Copy/paste of grouped objects breaks the grouping
Good catch! Will be fixed with the next release.

2. Editing label text sometimes results in two labels - one with the old text and one with the new. The "old" label doesn't always show up right away either - sometimes I don't notice it until I've closed and reopened the file.
Looking into it. We haven't been able to reproduce it, but we've had separate reports on the same issue so it's real.

3. I have some labels that won't go over some objects. Thanks to this thread I've realized that it's because the objects aren't associated with the same parent landmass as the label. But they should be (my landmass covers the entire canvas). So I guess this is maybe a few interrelated bugs/feature requests:
a. Why would an object not be associated with a landmass that it's placed on?
It should be. If it isn't there is a bug we haven't caught.
b. Is there any way to change an object's landmass-association?
Right now only via cut/paste, which is not optimal. Currently working on a simpler way to achieve this with UI changes.
c. Labels should (arguably) be on top of everything, no matter how the objects are associated.
This was an early request/discussion. We resolved it by making it that labels (or other items) placed on the canvas are above everything. Implementing b. should make this more intuitive.

4. The Union functionality sometimes produces unexpected results:
Noted. We added it to our bug tracker. Thank you!!

5. I'm using the road tool a lot (city map), and I've found that, when adding branches, it sometimes "simplifies" the roads in unexpected ways.
Noted. We added it to our bug tracker. Thank you!!

6. I think I figured out what's going on with the shapes that aren't associated with a landmass. I "staged" these shapes in an other map - one that didn't have any landmasses - and copy/pasted these shapes into my map. Since the original map didn't have any landmasses, I think that the copy/paste resulted in the shape having no landmass in the new map either.

Good catch too. We'll address that with the next release.

7. The New Map button doesn't work consistently - maybe 3 out of every 4 clicks brings up the New Map dialog.
That is really odd. Is it just the new map button? Or some of the other toolbar buttons too?

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

outzenj

Post by outzenj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm

7. The New Map button doesn't work consistently - maybe 3 out of every 4 clicks brings up the New Map dialog.
That is really odd. Is it just the new map button? Or some of the other toolbar buttons too?
The New Map button was the only one that I noticed. I spent some time tonight trying to replicate the issue, but wasn't able to when trying. But then a few minutes after I gave up on replicating the issue, it happened again. I'll keep an eye on it and give you some more info if I figure it out.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 pm

outzenj wrote:The New Map button was the only one that I noticed. I spent some time tonight trying to replicate the issue, but wasn't able to when trying. But then a few minutes after I gave up on replicating the issue, it happened again. I'll keep an eye on it and give you some more info if I figure it out.
I think it may be related to the bug that is dragging down performance the longer you work on a map. We've had another report of that issue, leading to an eventual crash. That's our highest priority issue right now and will probably make another release as soon as it's fixed.

The other issues you found we fixed already since your report. The failure cases for the Union were extremely helpful, we fixed those and added them to our tests cases for the vector Boolean operation.

Thanks again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software