Unknown Crash Error

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Cronus3166

Unknown Crash Error

Post by Cronus3166 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 am

So I have had this happen 3-4 times in the last day and I'm not 100% what I'm doing to cause it. Also, which is un-helpful, but I am unable to read the crash window error message.

So I'll be doing things (working on a dungeon map, but it's also happened on the Overland maps) Between adding things, loading up different textures, selecting items to move or rotate. Seriously, I don't know what is causing it, but those are random moments it did crash.

I just start getting error windows, various parts of the program start to disappear (Like the File, Edit, Map... or the different toolbars)

I am unable to press Alt+F4 or close the program out normally when this happens. Error windows pop-up, but immediately go the background (behind the program) then the only way to bring them up is to press spacebar or enter, when they vanish and another error happens.

The only fix I have found is to go to Task Manager and close out the program.

Another time when trying to load up textures, it just started eating up memory until my entire computer froze!

Again, sorry I can't be more helpful, but after the last crash I figure I should make a report. If I can find out what the error message is exactly or what is causing this error, I'll update!

Beta 6
Windows 10 64
SSD HDD
Intel i5
16 Gigs of Ram

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Unknown Crash Error

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Cronus3166 wrote:So I have had this happen 3-4 times in the last day and I'm not 100% what I'm doing to cause it. Also, which is un-helpful, but I am unable to read the crash window error message.
Hi!

This is definitely the type of thing we want to fix before the first release candidate. From the description it sounds that the program is caught in an infinite loop somewhere, so the crash report may not help.

Does it happen consistently with the same map? Or is it from different maps?

Please add any more info you find to this thread.

Thank you for your help!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Adding to this as I am experiencing these crashes too. This may seem like me advertising, but I happen to have the 'incident' recorded - unfortunately the recording doesn't show error messages or detail windows, but maybe it'll help anyway. 00:40:45 is when things go haywire (and of course all progress is lost). https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138454507
Map size is not ridiculous in this one either or anything, so its not that.

After a while of the loop, things defiitely start disappearing (top bars) and it keeps showing an 'empty' window in the tasklist of the pc as well, which is probably the error message window which sometimes comes up, but usually doesn't (and when you click it away, it just comes back again).
If I remember correctly, the error message mentions something like Missing Resources (not RAM) or something like that? Possibly unavailable instead... Which seems odd as this even happens when you just move stuff about as I did in the video.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 am

user_nh wrote:Adding to this as I am experiencing these crashes too. This may seem like me advertising, but I happen to have the 'incident' recorded - unfortunately the recording doesn't show error messages or detail windows, but maybe it'll help anyway. 00:40:45 is when things go haywire (and of course all progress is lost). https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138454507
Map size is not ridiculous in this one either or anything, so its not that.

After a while of the loop, things defiitely start disappearing (top bars) and it keeps showing an 'empty' window in the tasklist of the pc as well, which is probably the error message window which sometimes comes up, but usually doesn't (and when you click it away, it just comes back again).
If I remember correctly, the error message mentions something like Missing Resources (not RAM) or something like that? Possibly unavailable instead... Which seems odd as this even happens when you just move stuff about as I did in the video.
Hello!

Sorry you are getting those crashes :(. We very much appreciate the report the link to the video!! And feel free to post in the forums about them too - no issues with our users posting content :).

-crossing fingers- I'm pretty sure this issue is gone in the release candidate we are now having under regression testing. We found two major issues, one with the undo/redo engine and another with the dungeon tools that could lead to an infinite loop.

We'll use the video as reference so we can emulate how you have setup the toolbars and the kind of items you have on your map. This upcoming release being the release candidate we won't be releasing until we are satisfied we can't produce crashes such as the one from the vid.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Mon May 01, 2017 2:40 pm

A little update - I tried reproducing the issue but failed - the only difference being that I saved quite frequently in order not to lose progress.

Could the looping be related to someone not saving for an extended period of time (and of course changing things etc. during that time) - say, an hour+? Could be a thing, maybe.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 am

user_nh wrote:A little update - I tried reproducing the issue but failed - the only difference being that I saved quite frequently in order not to lose progress.

Could the looping be related to someone not saving for an extended period of time (and of course changing things etc. during that time) - say, an hour+? Could be a thing, maybe.
Hello!

Actually, that does help a lot! Auto-save runs every 5 mins approximately, but the time count gets reset every time you save manually. So it's very possible something is going wrong during auto-save, which doesn't happen when it never gets to run.

That definitely gives us more cases to test. Thank you!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, I can certainly confirm the crash behavior. I find it most commonly happens when I am manipulating control points. If I move, add and removes too many points without saving the program crashes hard. Similarly, is I an trying to move landmasses round to line things up, the program will lock and subsequently crash. Frequent saves prevents the issue so I have a reasonable work-around.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Lubrol88800 wrote:Well, I can certainly confirm the crash behavior. I find it most commonly happens when I am manipulating control points. If I move, add and removes too many points without saving the program crashes hard. Similarly, is I an trying to move landmasses round to line things up, the program will lock and subsequently crash. Frequent saves prevents the issue so I have a reasonable work-around.
V0.9.1 (coming out soon) should fix all of these crash issues... they were 3 different issues, so tracking them down took a while.

Our internal testers have been running V0.9.1 for a few days without issues..so if all holds V0.9.1 will come out as soon as we finish updating documentation.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software