Error message on opening Beta5 maps?

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

smithy

Error message on opening Beta5 maps?

Post by smithy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 am

Hi,
every time i open one of my existing maps i get an error message saying something like "OWM cant find the file you want (File name).jpg Do you want to navigate to somewhere else?" Yes or No.
If i chose No, it opens the map normally anyway.

This is obviously a problem, but also why is it looking for a jpeg file?

Cheers,
Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Error message on opening Beta5 maps?

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:05 pm

smithy wrote:Hi,
every time i open one of my existing maps i get an error message saying something like "OWM cant find the file you want (File name).jpg Do you want to navigate to somewhere else?" Yes or No.
If i chose No, it opens the map normally anyway.

This is obviously a problem, but also why is it looking for a jpeg file?

Cheers,
Smithy
Can you send me the exact error message? Also, does it persist if you re-save the map with Beta 6? Or does it stop asking?

We added additional checks with Beta 6 in case someone opens a map and a resource (background, feature, font, etc) is not present. OWM may be getting confused thinking a resource is being used that it's not.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Message says "OWM can not find the file C:/ FILE NAME.jpg Would you like to navigate to a new location?"

The location of file being FILE NAME.
I tried opening one, that was doing the error, after saving and it happened again. However, it has stopped on a couple of others i produced a while ago, and made a change to yesterday?

Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm

smithy wrote:Message says "OWM can not find the file C:/ FILE NAME.jpg Would you like to navigate to a new location?"

The location of file being FILE NAME.
I tried opening one, that was doing the error, after saving and it happened again. However, it has stopped on a couple of others i produced a while ago, and made a change to yesterday?

Smithy
I found the problem. OWM is checking the filenames for the background images used for the canvas and for the individual landmasses, but it isn't making sure the image being shown is "enabled"/checked.

So, if for instance you had mybackground.jpg as background to your map at some point and then unchecked the show box, Beta 6 will open the map and try to locate that file - even if showing it isn't checked.

We will fix that with the next release. Meanwhile,
* Go to the Landmasses and the Canvas properties
* On the Background Image property first select to show via the checkbox
* Then click on the "X" that removes the image, the filename will be emptied and you shouldn't get the error again.

Note that you can select all the landmasses at once, you shouldn't need to do it for each landmass.

Thank You!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software