Merge of Landmasses fail

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

smithy

Merge of Landmasses fail

Post by smithy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi,
having a problem merging 2 land masses. I get an error stating "Out of Memory". They are moderate to large sized. If i create 2 new small landmasses i can get them to merge no problem. The overall map is 2Meg. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Merge of Landmasses fail

Post by Kanchou » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:14 pm

smithy wrote:Hi,
having a problem merging 2 land masses. I get an error stating "Out of Memory". They are moderate to large sized. If i create 2 new small landmasses i can get them to merge no problem. The overall map is 2Meg. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Smithy
Smithy,

Looking into it. If the landmasses are really large it may take a while to finish merging but it shouldn't run out of memory.

It may be a left over issue from the Vista bug that didn't get solved with the build I sent your way.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi,
actually I had just updated to Win 7 as i got it today. This was the first attempt at using the original download i received on 11/02. Seemed to be going well until i needed to merge 2 landmasses. Sorry :oops:

Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 am

smithy wrote:Hi,
actually I had just updated to Win 7 as i got it today. This was the first attempt at using the original download i received on 11/02. Seemed to be going well until i needed to merge 2 landmasses. Sorry :oops:

Smithy
Smithy,

No problem! Thank you for trying things out! :)

Can you send me the map with the landmasses that cause the issue?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:43 am

Sent a mail yesterday with map attached.
Cheers,
Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:35 pm

smithy wrote:Sent a mail yesterday with map attached.
Cheers,
Smithy
Smithy,

(Sent you and email back but I wanted to write back here to everyone can see :) )

What’s happening is the two shapes are very “complex” so it is taking a lot of memory (and time) to merge them. However, the shapes don’t have to be so complex.

You are probably using the fractal pen to trace the background image and adding points very close by, but because it’s the fractal pen many points are added in between your two clicks. Most of those points are not actually contributing to the overall shape (they are fractions of pixels).

Normally, Other World Mapper will simplify the shape some once you create the landmass (it’s the auto reduce points setting in the tools menu). I’m not sure if OWM failed to simplify them or perhaps we may need to increase the default simplification factor, but this is what I suggest:

Select each landmass and go to “Tools->Reduce Points” then select a pixel factor of at least 1.0 (I suggest 2.0). You can play with the pixel number if it looks like your shape got too simplified you can undo and try again. OWM will tell you the original and final point count.

Then, try doing merge again it shouldn’t take as long and it should work.

Still, we’ll work on improving the performance of the vector Boolean algorithms so they don’t take so long!

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I got it to work on the bits i had already drawn and merged them (changed fractal level to 2 as u said), but when i tried to add to the shape it didnt like it. Think i should have stuck to freehand drawn. The continent i am building is too complicated to use fractal lines.

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I, too, find merging landmasses doesn't work. I took a fairly small island and when I merged it to an even smaller island the resultant landmass remained two separate masses albeit the border wan completely contiguous right down to the complete overlap of the control points along the merger line and the two borders being present. Not at all what I was looking for in merging the landmasses. And this was not because of too many control points as I repeated it after removing and of the points so that there were only a pair on etch land mass forming a completely straight border. Same thing happened. So I simply unmerged the masses and extending the larger landmass by moving and adding control points.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Lubrol88800 wrote:I, too, find merging landmasses doesn't work. I took a fairly small island and when I merged it to an even smaller island the resultant landmass remained two separate masses albeit the border wan completely contiguous right down to the complete overlap of the control points along the merger line and the two borders being present. Not at all what I was looking for in merging the landmasses. And this was not because of too many control points as I repeated it after removing and of the points so that there were only a pair on etch land mass forming a completely straight border. Same thing happened. So I simply unmerged the masses and extending the larger landmass by moving and adding control points.
Can you email me a map with the two landmasses? We fixed a few issues with Boolean vector operations for V0.9.1 so I can give it a try with the soon to be release (and potentially fix the issue if there is still one)

info@threemindssoftware.com

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am

Sure, I've emailed the before and the after maps to make it easier to see. I have a work around and realize this is not necessarily an easy fix.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)