Merge of Landmasses fail

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Merge of Landmasses fail

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Lubrol88800 wrote:Sure, I've emailed the before and the after maps to make it easier to see. I have a work around and realize this is not necessarily an easy fix.
Got them! We'll look at them and see if it's something we can fix with this almost there release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am

Lubrol88800 wrote:I, too, find merging landmasses doesn't work. I took a fairly small island and when I merged it to an even smaller island the resultant landmass remained two separate masses albeit the border wan completely contiguous right down to the complete overlap of the control points along the merger line and the two borders being present. Not at all what I was looking for in merging the landmasses. And this was not because of too many control points as I repeated it after removing and of the points so that there were only a pair on etch land mass forming a completely straight border. Same thing happened. So I simply unmerged the masses and extending the larger landmass by moving and adding control points.
Hello!

We gave it a try. The merging of paths (in this case a close path) is based on the 3 basic operations: union, intersection and difference. For the shapes to be combined and made contiguous, the landmasses would have to partially overlap.

This is from one of our (old) dev logs, but the merge still works similarly.

https://youtu.be/jK1_W-DrLwU?t=348

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any questions!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello Alejandro;

Thanks, makes perfect sense; or as much as it can for a non-programmer with weak math skills.= :lol: There's a reason I'm a biologist not a physicist!
Once I overlap things, it works like a charm and much MUCH better than my workaround.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 am

Lubrol88800 wrote:Hello Alejandro;

Thanks, makes perfect sense; or as much as it can for a non-programmer with weak math skills.= :lol: There's a reason I'm a biologist not a physicist!
Once I overlap things, it works like a charm and much MUCH better than my workaround.
No worries!

We owe you guys lots of tutorials so it's on us. After this release team's focus are #1 tutorials and #2 MAC release.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software