Hello from Denmark

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

TrolleFrostholm

Hello from Denmark

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:28 am

Hello everybody and congratulations to the Team behind Three Minds Software for the very successful Kickstarter...

I play RPG at least once a week, i have 7 active roleplaying groups that i am sitting behind the GM screen.
I play Call of Cthulhu, D&D 3.5, D&D 5th (Next), D&D Modern, Alternity ex.

I need a lot of maps, be course i am going to play i my own world, in both RPG and LARP.

I have used the ProFantasy Campaign Cartographer... but i find it hard to use, it has a lot of cool features but i takes long time and i can't find all the features i wan't to use.

I am hoping for a more easy program that can make fantastic maps, and I think i found just that with your product.

I am looking forward to be a part of this and get a fantastic program from you...

Keep up the good work, and best of luck...

unklStewy

Re: Hello from Denmark

Post by unklStewy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:04 am

Good Morning Troels!:

Welcome from the U.S.! It is good to see another LARP participant. We plan on using OWM for LARP materials as well. Well that and in conjunction with our many table top games.

Glad to have you here..

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Big Mac

Re: Hello from Denmark

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Welcome to the OWM forums Troels.

I've done LARP in the past too. My last LARP was a science fiction LARP, called Virtual Eclipse. We had our own bespoke universe, based around seven power blocs who each had control of a number of different planets. In real-life, we mostly used scout camps in the South part of England as the places that we set our games in.

VE is not active at the moment, but if it was still going (or if it ever gets restarted) I would probably be tempted to try to use Other World Mapper to try to insert the real-world locations we use in games (i.e. the scout camps) into the fictional planets that our games were supposed to be set on.

I have done a few LARPs, where the same physical location is "recycled" as more than one in-character location. In an ideal world, I think I would prefer to use one LARP site as one in-character site, but I can imagine needing to "clone" the same area and build it into two or more different planet locations. Again, I hope that OWM would make that process fairly easy.

I actually think that, if you are forced to recycle the same physical location, but you can reboot the same map, and give it new names for landmarks, it could help with the suspension of disbelief. One thing that could be really cool is giving the various roads and buildings in-character names on a map. Then you could print a ton of them out and give them to players, or load them any sort of computerised gizmos that the players might be carrying around (if you are running a SF LARP). :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums