Excited for Release

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

GorillaInTheAttic

Excited for Release

Post by GorillaInTheAttic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi, I'm a GM/part time player from Indiana. Very excited for the release of Other World Mapper, as I have been trying to find a way to generate maps on the computer without a lot of time and complication. I look forward to all the maps we will create and (hopefully) share here.
"What the hell was that?!" "Just the gorilla in the attic"

unklStewy

Re: Excited for Release

Post by unklStewy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 am

Welcome GorillaInTheAttic:

I know that the topic of a map sharing resource came up in the comments of the Kickstarter and that Three Minds Software seemed to be onboard with the Idea. I also know they have their plates full with completing the feature set for the initial release. That being said I do agree that a shared archive of maps would be a very cool idea.

There are some cool open cloud services that could be used to share maps for free. http://owncloud.org/

There is also potential to monetize the process. I know that a lot of the cartographers might share their maps openly yet some might also want to produce maps for use in commercial products or as part of some campaign embellishment packs. It might be nice to have an OWM marketplace where artists could create symbol sets, icons packs and map packs for sale to other users as licensed content.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:10 pm

unklStewy wrote: It might be nice to have an OWM marketplace where artists could create symbol sets, icons packs and map packs for sale to other users as licensed content.
That's been our plan, and we'll talk about it more next year. Like you said, we're concentrating on development of the first release for now :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Kanchou wrote:
unklStewy wrote:It might be nice to have an OWM marketplace where artists could create symbol sets, icons packs and map packs for sale to other users as licensed content.
That's been our plan, and we'll talk about it more next year. Like you said, we're concentrating on development of the first release for now :)
I would definitely like to see that.

I am especially interested in the ability to create "house styles" for maps. I'm thinking that bespoke symbols and maybe backgrounds for areas inside countries would help "sell" that.

I'm not sure if I will ever be good enough to create my own house styles, but this is a great idea. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums