Greetings from Bonnie Scotland

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

smithy

Greetings from Bonnie Scotland

Post by smithy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,
I thought as a few others had posted Intros i would do the same, despite being a late-comer to the party. I unfortunately missed the KS and only found out about OWM after the fact. However, as soon as the opportunity was presented I bought in as OWM is exactly what I had been hoping would appear for several years.
As per the title I live in/am from Scotland and have been a RPgamer for many years, mostly D&D since my first game back in 1982 during my Summer holidays in Canada. That was 34 years ago, I feel ancient saying that. Ever since i have been a little bit obsessed with gaming and I also love maps, but don't have an enormous amount of time to create them, so OWM was a great find. (Although i did have to wait about 6 months for non-KS version to be released :cry: )
I have always been a paper and pencil drawn map GM until fairly recently. I discovered you can use Photoshop and other tools, including programs specially designed for RPG mapping - but they are quite expensive and have a huge learning curve. Not good for a frustrated map maker who wants them quick and easy to create. So for the last 2 years i have struggled to create electronic versions of my maps that were acceptable to me. OWM is changing that, and I feel when it is published fully, it will be the top product in the market.
Well done so far guys and looking forward to publication of the final release.

Cheers,
Smithy

Big Mac

Re: Greetings from Bonnie Scotland

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:10 pm

smithy wrote:Hi,
I thought as a few others had posted Intros i would do the same, despite being a late-comer to the party. I unfortunately missed the KS and only found out about OWM after the fact. However, as soon as the opportunity was presented I bought in as OWM is exactly what I had been hoping would appear for several years.
As per the title I live in/am from Scotland and have been a RPgamer for many years, mostly D&D since my first game back in 1982 during my Summer holidays in Canada. That was 34 years ago, I feel ancient saying that. Ever since i have been a little bit obsessed with gaming and I also love maps, but don't have an enormous amount of time to create them, so OWM was a great find. (Although i did have to wait about 6 months for non-KS version to be released :cry: )
Hi Smithy.

Welcome to the OWM forums.

If it's any consolation to you, I backed Other World Mapper to get the Mac OS version (which was their last Kickstarter stretch goal) so you might have waited 6 months, but I'm still waiting for them to finish your PC version and move onto my beta version. ;)

I hope you have been able to make some maps, while you have had the software.
smithy wrote:I have always been a paper and pencil drawn map GM until fairly recently. I discovered you can use Photoshop and other tools, including programs specially designed for RPG mapping - but they are quite expensive and have a huge learning curve. Not good for a frustrated map maker who wants them quick and easy to create. So for the last 2 years i have struggled to create electronic versions of my maps that were acceptable to me. OWM is changing that, and I feel when it is published fully, it will be the top product in the market.
Well done so far guys and looking forward to publication of the final release.

Cheers,
Smithy
I've been looking at Anna Meyer's maps of Greyhawk and wondering how I can make nice looking maps...without having to spend 10 years learning how to do it first. :o :lol:

My favourite feature of Other World Mapper is that the developers listened to me talking about the common problem that people have with poles of maps being broken and added tools into the software that allow someone to look at a world map from other projections and fix broken poles. Even TSR and Wizards of the Coast sell products that have maps with broken poles and I'm going to be very happy to be able to avoid having broken poles on my own maps.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums