More Greetings From Madison

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

Tgerritsen

More Greetings From Madison

Post by Tgerritsen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am

Hi, All,

I just joined the forums today. I'm a kickstarter backer but this is the first chance I've had to dig into the tool. I play a LOT of games. I'm in the video game industry, so table to gaming is my escape from my day job.

I'm currently playing in a long standing Pathfinder game run by a friend and running my own 5th Edition D&D game. I'm attempting to use OWM to create maps to support my own campaign efforts and just started using the tool. I look forward to creating unique world maps and possibly dungeon maps with it.

Additionally, I am a big miniatures gamer, and play a lot of smaller rule sets but also games like Bolt Action, X-Wing, Warhammer 40k and a lot of home brew stuff. The smaller sets I play are Song of Blades and Heroes, Naval Thunder, Check Your Six, Luftwaffe 1946/ Blue Skies Black Cross, Axis and Allies War at Sea and lots of other assorted stuff.

Tim Gerritsen

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: More Greetings From Madison

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Tgerritsen wrote:Hi, All,

I just joined the forums today. I'm a kickstarter backer but this is the first chance I've had to dig into the tool. I play a LOT of games. I'm in the video game industry, so table to gaming is my escape from my day job.

I'm currently playing in a long standing Pathfinder game run by a friend and running my own 5th Edition D&D game. I'm attempting to use OWM to create maps to support my own campaign efforts and just started using the tool. I look forward to creating unique world maps and possibly dungeon maps with it.

Additionally, I am a big miniatures gamer, and play a lot of smaller rule sets but also games like Bolt Action, X-Wing, Warhammer 40k and a lot of home brew stuff. The smaller sets I play are Song of Blades and Heroes, Naval Thunder, Check Your Six, Luftwaffe 1946/ Blue Skies Black Cross, Axis and Allies War at Sea and lots of other assorted stuff.

Tim Gerritsen
Tim,

Welcome to the forums!

We look forward to your table top gaming feedback, but I'm also very interested in your video game industry feedback! We are hoping to make Other World Mapper a tool that can be used by video game developers (at least indie studios) so it's good to have someone that can give us a game dev point of view.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Re: More Greetings From Madison

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Tgerritsen wrote:Hi, All,

Hi Tim.

Welcome to the OWM forums.

I'll look forward to seeing some of the maps you make, when you get going (if you ever fancy sharing them).
Tgerritsen wrote:Additionally, I am a big miniatures gamer, and play a lot of smaller rule sets but also games like Bolt Action, X-Wing, Warhammer 40k and a lot of home brew stuff. The smaller sets I play are Song of Blades and Heroes, Naval Thunder, Check Your Six, Luftwaffe 1946/ Blue Skies Black Cross, Axis and Allies War at Sea and lots of other assorted stuff.
I've actually been thinking about how easy it will be to use Other World Mapper to print out maps as gaming tiles, to use with miniatures.

Most of us are going to be stuck with A4 printers and mini combat often uses fairly large play mats. There are commercial ones out there, but if we are going to design our own dungeons it would probably be logical to try to make our own maps.

Do you use 3D terrain with your miniatures games or do you use 2D map-sheets?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums