L Shaped House

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Henrie61@hotmail.com

L Shaped House

Post by Henrie61@hotmail.com » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi,

Actually the title says it all :-)
Is there a way to create L shaped houses using Other World Mapper?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: L Shaped House

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 am

Henrie61@hotmail.com wrote:Hi,

Actually the title says it all :-)
Is there a way to create L shaped houses using Other World Mapper?
It's a good point :). For now you have to use two miter intersect buildings "together" to form an L.

The city toolset is by far the weakness part of OWM and we have several additions planned which we'll be back to working on next week now that the OSX beta is out :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Henrie61@hotmail.com

Post by Henrie61@hotmail.com » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:23 am

Kanchou,

Glad to hear the city is being worked on.
Even with the "limited" toolset I can create the city map I want.

Am a cc3+ user but I find the user interface of OWM far easier to understand and use.

Sturn

Post by Sturn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 am

You can create L's, T's, and X's with the tools we have. Possibly C's and squares (hollow), but I haven't tried it.

Henrie61@hotmail.com

Post by Henrie61@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Sturn,

Could you explain how to do it.
I tried but yet have to find a way.
You can create L's, T's, and X's with the tools we have. Possibly C's and squares (hollow), but I haven't tried it.

Sturn

Post by Sturn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am

Sure!

I'm guessing, like me, you've missed the shapes toolbar that pops up for some tools? It gave me trouble at first since I didn't always notice it.

You put unique buildings together using parts of shapes. When you click the Building Tool under City Tools, you get a default rectangular shape. But, if you look up near the top left (below the Save button) you will now see 5 shape buttons. This is where you can select a circle to plop down a circlular shaped building, for example. Combining the 5 different shapes and layering them in the right order allows creations of various shaped buildings. See my village map of, "Broken Corners", I posted at the FB forums if you have access.

But, for an L-shape, there are a couple ways to do it. One is to plop down a rectangular building first. Second, plop down another building section, but click the "Miter Intersect" shape first. You then can lay this on top of the rectangle shape at a 90-degree angle. You may have to shape it using the Transform Tool to get the two shapes to line up correctly (get the center lines of the rooftops to line up).

You may have a problem that the second Miter Intersect can't be stretched long enough for your liking without distorting the roof intersection. This can be corrected by using a second method (that actually may be the intended method?). Use two Miter Intersect pieces instead of the rectangular piece. You will need to flip around the Miter's using the Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical buttons on the toolbar to get them to line up properly. This requires a few more clicks then the first method, but allows you to make each wing of the L the same size if you wish.

Hope that helps. Play around with the shapes and you will see what I mean. I use mainly the Rectangle, Miter Intersect, and Intersect. The Intersect can easily be used to make dormers sticking out of larger buildings. Or, it can be used to make nice T-shaped buildings.

Henrie61@hotmail.com

Post by Henrie61@hotmail.com » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Sturn,

Thank you for your reply. :D
Will try this later and let you know how this works out.

Henrie61@hotmail.com

Post by Henrie61@hotmail.com » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 am

I think I got it :D

And I did miss the shapes toolbar.
Took me a bit of experimenting but thats fine.

Thanks again Sturn,
Attachments
Houses small.png
Houses small.png (101.32 KiB) Viewed 11015 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am

Awesome! :)

Thank you Sturn!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa