Mac Version Question

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

davidgwydion

Mac Version Question

Post by davidgwydion » Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 pm

I have bought all the artwork available. When the Mac version comes out, will I get Mac versions of the artwork installers as well or will I have to copy and import them on my own?

DavidG

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Mac Version Question

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 08, 2018 2:45 am

davidgwydion wrote:I have bought all the artwork available. When the Mac version comes out, will I get Mac versions of the artwork installers as well or will I have to copy and import them on my own?

DavidG
Great question, thank you! And thank you for getting the art packs! :)

Both OWM itself and the add-ons will get OSX bundles added so when you go to the download link/manager you can download either (or both).

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 am

Speaking of... when's the first Mac version coming? I have all but abandoned OWM for now due to no Mac support.

(The true dream would be an iPad version but it's never coming. ;( )

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm

stefanstr wrote:Speaking of... when's the first Mac version coming? I have all but abandoned OWM for now due to no Mac support.

End of this month if we don't hit another unexpected delay. This is our #1 priority and all Windows dev work is halted so we can get it out.

We're aiming to start working on an iOS port after the OSX version is out, so maybe I'm being a bit optimistic, but you may see an iPad alpha by the end of the year.

Thank you for sticking with us for this long years!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Mon May 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Kanchou wrote:
stefanstr wrote:Speaking of... when's the first Mac version coming? I have all but abandoned OWM for now due to no Mac support.

End of this month if we don't hit another unexpected delay. This is our #1 priority and all Windows dev work is halted so we can get it out.

We're aiming to start working on an iOS port after the OSX version is out, so maybe I'm being a bit optimistic, but you may see an iPad alpha by the end of the year.

Thank you for sticking with us for this long years!!

- Alejandro
Thanks for responding, Alejandro, can't wait. And news of an iOS port is unexpected and made me very happy. :)

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Tue May 15, 2018 3:29 am

Kanchou wrote: End of this month if we don't hit another unexpected delay. This is our #1 priority and all Windows dev work is halted so we can get it out.

Do these statements also apply to Linux and Android? (Depending on the language and frameworks you're using, Mac and Linux or iOS and Android ports could range from anywhere from basically-equivalent to completely unrelated.)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

nDervish wrote:Do these statements also apply to Linux and Android? (Depending on the language and frameworks you're using, Mac and Linux or iOS and Android ports could range from anywhere from basically-equivalent to completely unrelated.)
The engine has always been crossplatform, it's the darn UI that got us ;). The UI port is cross platform for OSX, Linux and Windows (so eventually it will take over the Windows release as well). So, the Linux port will come soon after the OSX release, we are prioritizing OSX for testing but it shouldn't be much additional work to get it out.

Due to the nature of iOS and Android devices, we'll need a different UI (can't have the same layout/style as a desktop version) so we'll make sure it's one that will work both for iOS and Android.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software