Problem with importing

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

vakil67

Problem with importing

Post by vakil67 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:56 pm

According to the manual, OWM supports typical raster image formats (png, jpeg, etc) and SVG for vector support. I'm trying to import one of my jpeg maps so I can trace over it. I can't figure out how to import jpegs, though. The import options in my version are svg and shp formats only. What am I missing?

Thanks

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Problem with importing

Post by Kanchou » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:29 pm

vakil67 wrote:According to the manual, OWM supports typical raster image formats (png, jpeg, etc) and SVG for vector support. I'm trying to import one of my jpeg maps so I can trace over it. I can't figure out how to import jpegs, though. The import options in my version are svg and shp formats only. What am I missing?

Thanks
Hello! And welcome to the forums :)

To trace over a jpeg map, you want to set it as the background image for the canvas. You can find detailed instructions under chapter 19, "Tracing a Map" in the manual (help->view help document).

The import option is to import SVG and GIS data directly as program objects.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Sturn

Re: Problem with importing

Post by Sturn » Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Having just traced an old CC map, I will add a couple suggestions.

Once you import the map as your Background Image, try clicking the Autofit button. I created a new OWM map with the same pixels as my old jpeg, hit Autofit, and it fit perfectly.

Next, I lowered the Opacity quite a bit for my new landmass. This allowed me to more easily see things the new landmass had covered so I could trace them also.