Does anyone make Roll 20 maps using OWM?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Big Mac

Does anyone make Roll 20 maps using OWM?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I wasn't ever planning on using Roll 20, but then I got invited to a live streamed Roll 20 game and jumped at it (because it was a Spelljammer game).

We are using 2nd Edition, an mostly using the theatre of the mind, but I know that there are rulers built into Roll 20 and that you are supposed to save maps at certain sizes to get that stuff to work.

Does anyone use Roll 20? What do you do to make your maps work? Do you have to specify things when importing maps into Roll 20? Or is it better to save Other World Mapper files using specific settings to make them Roll 20 compatible before they are imported?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone make Roll 20 maps using OWM?

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

In case anybody else sees this post. I know we have several Roll20 folks. One of our early backers was a Roll20 user and gave of LOTS of excellent feedback, but I haven't seen him around in a long while now :(

So, I'd love to hear comments to Big Mac's post from people using Roll20. As always we can try adding functionality/making changes to make it easier on you :)

-Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pm

*waves* I use owm for roll20 maps (world, dungeons, cities etc.) :) (Not a he, though, not that its important in this case)

While I work on a map - except for the worldmap - I activate a grid in owm with a squaresize of 70x70pixels. This is because those are the default measurements of the roll20 squares, too. So when I later upload the map (saved to a jpg without gridlines) to Roll20 itself, I just have to rightclick on it, change dimensions to the exact ones the map had in OWM and everything that was along the grid and whatnot aligns perfectly in roll20s grid as well.

Apart from that little tidbit of information, there really isn't a whole lot else to consider or change. I always ramp up the quality of the jpg file I suppose, but thats because I hate visible pixelation.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am

user_nh wrote:*waves* I use owm for roll20 maps (world, dungeons, cities etc.) :) (Not a he, though, not that its important in this case)
Awesome! Particularly glad to have had your great feedback so far!!
And it isn't important, particularly considering 2/3 of OWM's team are "she" :)
user_nh wrote: While I work on a map - except for the worldmap - I activate a grid in owm with a squaresize of 70x70pixels. This is because those are the default measurements of the roll20 squares, too.
We're planning to introduce an option to do a "guided" new map (in addition to just default like right now). Maybe we can have "roll20" grid as one of the options there.
user_nh wrote: I just have to rightclick on it, change dimensions to the exact ones the map had in OWM
I'm curious, roll20 doesn't pick up the correct dimentions by default?
user_nh wrote: Apart from that little tidbit of information, there really isn't a whole lot else to consider or change.
If you think of any ideas/feedback later please let us know :)

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Look at you using everything someone even remotely mentions and turning it into feedback ;) A roll20 grid option would be awesome though.

And no, roll20 doesn't usually pick up on original dimension with just about anything you import - at least thats the case for me, so its anecdotal evidence only. Thats one of the reasons I do the whole grid thing in OWM so that everything is built on the same scale as the one I will later utilise it with.
Even "worse", pulling it from the roll20 library (where all images that you upload to the campaign go) adds it as a grand 210x210 pixel size. Don't think you yourself can change anything about that though.

On feedback there is something that came up actually, but I'll make a new thread for that.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm

user_nh wrote:Look at you using everything someone even remotely mentions and turning it into feedback ;) A roll20 grid option would be awesome though. On feedback there is something that came up actually, but I'll make a new thread for that.
And doing so without shame :D

Saw your feedback post. Just finishing the V0.9.4 release right now, but Stephanie should be able to look at it tomorrow. Planning to do a blog post with all the features with are planning near and mid term too.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software