Transparent Background

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

mark

Transparent Background

Post by mark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm

I've drawn a humble map, not as good as the awesome work others here can do, I'm still learning!

What I'd like to do now is to add it as a feature so I can use it in another map, but for that I ideally need to export it with a completely transparent background.... otherwise I'll have to do some fiddly magic-wand selection/deletion in another raster image program, which I'd dearly like to avoid.
Sævar-Hestr .PNG
Sævar-Hestr .PNG (123.27 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
Is it possible to have nothing at all in the background (or at least for export), ie: no colour, no image, no texture? If so, please could one of you kind folk tell me how?

Thanks. :)

PS. Also, shapes seem to be layered exclusively under features......I can't send them backwards behind features....is there anyway around that? For example, he "ropes" on the ship are lines, but I cannot show them in front of features (like the oars), so I imagine I'll have to edit them in another piece of software. Anyway around that?
Vikingr -- 9th century PbP using Mythras

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Transparent Background

Post by Kyete » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Cool! You can export with a transparent background. When the Export Settings window comes up, hit the Layers button at the bottom and uncheck the Canvas.

There's no way to change the layer order of different item types at this time.

-Katie

mark

Post by mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! That is very nifty, I thought I had fiddled with everything, but obviously missed that when exporting! I'm delighted, I've exported my ship without a background, in higher res, minus labels, and then added it as a feature. Perfect! :mrgreen:

Well, maybe perfect if we can have more freedom with layer order in future releases please, which is currently my only frustration with OWM. Overall it is proving to be an amazing app! 8-)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:16 pm

We are planning to give more layer freedom and better options for grouping. We put some of that work on pause to concentrate on the long overdue Mac and Linux ports :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

I love the ship, Mark.

One of the things I need to do with Other World Mapper is make deckplans of Spelljamming ships, so the advice that Katie gave you is going to be really helpful. I hope I can make my deckplans look as good as yours do. :)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

mark

Post by mark » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 am

Kanchou wrote:We are planning to give more layer freedom and better options for grouping. We put some of that work on pause to concentrate on the long overdue Mac and Linux ports :)

- Alejandro
That Sir, is most excellent news. I cannot wait, and I think it those features will surely crown your software as king. :mrgreen:

mark

Post by mark » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:57 am

Big Mac wrote:I love the ship, Mark.

One of the things I need to do with Other World Mappers is make deckplans of Spelljamming ships, so the advice that Katie gave you is going to be really helpful. I hope I can make my deckplans look as good as yours do. :)
Thanks!

I've used quiet a lot of custom features & textures that I've collected from across the web over the years, you know the sort of user created art on other mapping software forums that is free for non commercial use etc.

I've actually made some minor historical accuracy and other visual improvements as well as increases resolution since I posted this. Also, I've gone on to make deckplans for all common types 9th century north-western European vessels (essentially rafts and row boats all the way to giant clinker built Viking longships).

Perhaps we should ask the kindly Powers That Be on this forum if it would be appropriate for us to have a "User Art" subforum so that we can share PNGs. :?:

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 am

Good idea! We'll make an artwork subforum soon.

-Katie

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Kyete wrote:Good idea! We'll make an artwork subforum soon.

-Katie
And done ;).
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

mark

Post by mark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am

That's great news!

I went to post my hi-res early medieval ship deck plans I've made with OWM in the new Artwork subforum, but a file size of just under 300k produced an unspecified error. Presumably that is due to having a too large attachment.

To save me time resizing my file smaller and smaller until I find an acceptable size, please can you tell me what is the max permissible file size for attachments on these forums.

Thanks.