combine partitioned landmasses

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

tarski

combine partitioned landmasses

Post by tarski » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 am

Hi there,

Is it possible to recombine 2 landmasses which have been partitioned? Basically I'd like to select the two landmasses which are next to each other and combine them again.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: combine partitioned landmasses

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am

tarski wrote:Hi there,

Is it possible to recombine 2 landmasses which have been partitioned? Basically I'd like to select the two landmasses which are next to each other and combine them again.

Do you want them to retain their shape but just become one landmass again? For that you should be able to use Merge->Union. Or did you want to "undo" the partition so their union is seamless?

By the way, welcome to the forums! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

tarski

Post by tarski » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome :D
Do you want them to retain their shape but just become one landmass again? For that you should be able to use Merge->Union.
Yes this is what I would like to do. I've just tried using merge->union but with mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes nothing occurs and sometimes it leaves gaps in the landmass :(

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 pm

tarski wrote:Yes this is what I would like to do. I've just tried using merge->union but with mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes nothing occurs and sometimes it leaves gaps in the landmass :(
Once they are partitioned it's difficult for the merge algorithm to combine along a long edge like that. You could move one of the landmasses a little bit so it partially overlaps the other and try union again, that should make it not have gaps. Also, if the gaps aren't that many, you can use the landmass tool in "Add mode" with a line pen and just add squares where the gaps are at.

Alternatively, you can create another landmass and overlap it over the partition area and Union all three, that should also take care of the gap.

It could be that I'm not fully following you, if that's the case please let me know :). You can email us with screenshots or map files to info@threemindssoftware.com

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Please let us know if that worked/didn't work, in case we need to make a change for the next release :)

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

tarski

Post by tarski » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Still finding it works sometimes and not other times, depending on the partition. Could you do some more extensive testing with partitions and merges before your next release?

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 pm

We'll definitely do more testing on that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

-Katie