Kanchou/Alejandro's maps

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Big Mac

Kanchou/Alejandro's maps

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Alejandro helped someone with a question about how to share maps, but said something that I thought was pretty interesting:
Kanchou wrote:I'm pretty lousy at map mapping, which is one of the reasons we started working on Other World Mapper :).
Rather than derail the other topic, I'll ask here. What sort of maps do you want to make Alejandro?

Are some of the demo maps made for Other World Mapper versions of the things that you wanted to create? Or are you having to create demo maps that have designs that force specific features of the software to be tested to the limits (so you can find bugs)?

Does Other World Mapper include all the features that you needed for your own projects yet? Were your own features all in the version with the starting goal, or did you have to chew your fingernails while hoping to get enough backers to fund things that you had to drop into later stretch goals?

Putting aside the fact that you are building the thing (and therefore must take pride from certain features working well for the users) which have been the most exciting OWM features for your own use?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Kanchou/Alejandro's maps

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

For the most part it's world building maps for various stories that I have started (and likely will never get to publish ;p ). I drew the maps by hand and they a) looked awful and b) I found myself having to redo them as I tweaked the world so that geography, distances, etc. made sense. Photoshop and the like gave good results (although it's a lot of work), but would only work if I already had a very good draft. Needing to work and change the worlds as I thought them out made it Photoshop useless.

The other part were maps for video game concepts which also I wanted a tool where I could change things, etc.

Most of the demo maps were created by Stephanie and Katie, and the main overland sample ones by Josephe Vandel (now Vandel J. Arden). I did create a couple but they were specifically to showcase what OWM can do and mimic typical DM maps.

It's funny, but I haven't had any time to bring my hand drawn maps into OWM yet :P

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Kanchou/Alejandro's maps

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Most of the features that I wanted were there in the original Kickstarter goal and several others were added as we developed/used the program. Personally I was more interested in overland mapping, so the dungeon/battlemap tools and functionality weren't a must for my needs.

Probably the most exciting features to use for me were the ability to follow existing items, how easy it is to edit existing items and the importing of real cartography data from the release candidate :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software