Projected Release date and final price?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

soulclaw

Projected Release date and final price?

Post by soulclaw » Tue May 10, 2016 7:59 pm

I can't find a FAQ that lists this sort of thing so I will ask here.

Is there a projected final release date and what might it be?

What will the final price be?
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single command from a satellite activated mind control chip.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Projected Release date and final price?

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi,
soulclaw wrote: Is there a projected final release date and what might it be?
We are planning to continue adding functionality and fix issues for as long as we can, so the "final" release is more like the first release (V1.0). We don't have a date yet that we are ready to announce. Currently we are on V0.8.4 and the list of missing features is getting smaller so we hope V1.0 will be within the next few months.
soulclaw wrote:What will the final price be?
The final price for the full program will be around the current price of the Beta buy in. The "full program" will include all the current artwork + overland, dungeon and city tools. Edit: I forgot DM tools and mode - basically everything from the KS campaign.

We are planning to do versions with less functionality for those that, for instance, only want to do overland maps, and versions stripped of artwork for those who wouldn't be using ours, but pricing for those versions is still TBD.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

soulclaw

Post by soulclaw » Tue May 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Can you say something about how this program will differ from Campaign Cartographer? I have finally decided I want to make my own maps instead of scrounging them off the internet and changing the place names so I am looking for a map creator program. I need maps for a pnp campaign I want to run next year.
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single command from a satellite activated mind control chip.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 pm

soulclaw wrote:Thank you for the quick reply.

Can you say something about how this program will differ from Campaign Cartographer? I have finally decided I want to make my own maps instead of scrounging them off the internet and changing the place names so I am looking for a map creator program. I need maps for a pnp campaign I want to run next year.
You can probably see some of the comments from other users/backers in the forums and the campaign to get an "unbiased" view. It's just two pretty different approaches so it depends on what "goes" with you. OWM is a vector/raster blend where everything you add to do the map is an object that stays in its own layer and has a vector "core" defining it. CC3 is based on a CAD engine that would go well with anybody used to CAD programs.

Pretty difficult to compare the two, really. I haven't personally used CC3 much to be honest so I'm probably not the best person to answer.

ProFantasy's guys are pretty cool - they even pledged to our campaign :). Try them both if you are able ;P

Edit: which reminds me, we are working on getting a "free" demo version at some point in the near future so people can give it a try.
Edit2: you should also check out the youtube videos from our channel and the tutorial videos for CC3 so you can see them in action

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

soulclaw

Post by soulclaw » Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 am

Kanchou wrote: OWM is a vector/raster blend where everything you add to do the map is an object that stays in its own layer and has a vector "core" defining it. CC3 is based on a CAD engine that would go well with anybody used to CAD programs.
Again, thanks for the response.

The above sentences might as well have been written in Linear B, I don't know enough about graphics programs to understand any of it. I'll go watch some videos and see what I learn.

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Wed May 11, 2016 5:51 am

Kanchou wrote: We are planning to do versions with less functionality for those that, for instance, only want to do overland maps, and versions stripped of artwork for those who wouldn't be using ours, but pricing for those versions is still TBD.
Do you really want to do that? It will drive your average selling price down, will make support more complex, and it's a market with no good free choices, so people who need your software will probably buy it anyway.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed May 11, 2016 8:38 am

Stefan,

Hard to tell ahead of time... we are trying to make it so that the price point is accessible to more people. Having a version with little artwork is not difficult to do, but we'll see about the reduced functionality versions :). All of that is TBD at this moment, as our main focus is finishing what was promised during the campaign :).

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

soulclaw

Post by soulclaw » Wed May 11, 2016 10:49 am

I saw the videos and now I want the product. Good job.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am

soulclaw wrote:I saw the videos and now I want the product. Good job.
Thank you! Very happy to hear that! I figured the videos would be better than my rambling :)

If/when you buy into the beta you'll likely have feedback. Remember that we always welcome it!

Our intent is to get on a regular cycle of updates - likely every two months - so we'll continue adding small feature changes (and bug fixes of course..) from user feedback.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Kanchou wrote:We are planning to do versions with less functionality for those that, for instance, only want to do overland maps, and versions stripped of artwork for those who wouldn't be using ours, but pricing for those versions is still TBD.
That sounds good.

A reduced feature version might help increase the size of the user base. 8-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums