Thoughts on new Artwork and more

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Kanchou
Site Admin

Thoughts on new Artwork and more

Post by Kanchou » Sat May 07, 2016 10:33 am

Hi everyone!

So, how's everyone liking the new artwork (for the expansion)? There was a ton of artwork (features and textures) added with Beta 4 mostly from our talented friend Josephe Vandel.

We'll be posting a Kickstarter update about it soon, but the new artwork covers around 90% of the artwork we planned for the first rev of OWM (and it's 4 or 5 times what we promised with the Kickstarter!).

Also, how do you feel about us selling expansion artpacks via our website? Would that interest you?
OWM is open for you to bring any artwork into it, so we originally didn't think about selling more artwork ourselves. We didn't want to make anyone feel like they had to get our stuff.

But seeing as how some of you have asked about it :), what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Re: Thoughts on new Artwork and more

Post by stefanstr » Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 pm

No matter what people say now, only a few percent of all users would buy art packs, most likely. So it's a question of whether you have the kind of user base that would justify that.

Personally, I would be more interested in new presets, but I am not sure I would actually pay extra for either.

For the record, I love the new artwork. What I would like to see going forward is an easier way to draw elevation maps, though.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 10, 2016 1:20 pm

Stefan,
stefanstr wrote:No matter what people say now, only a few percent of all users would buy art packs, most likely. So it's a question of whether you have the kind of user base that would justify that.
That's good advice :). If we do more art we'll likely start with a very small mini-set just to have something/see how it does then.
stefanstr wrote: Personally, I would be more interested in new presets, but I am not sure I would actually pay extra for either.
We'll be doing more *free* presets as part of V1.0 and upload more to our website as we make more. Doing presets doesn't cost us anything other than a bit of time so we wouldn't charge for them.
stefanstr wrote: For the record, I love the new artwork.
Great to hear! We've been wondering what everyone thought of it :)
stefanstr wrote: What I would like to see going forward is an easier way to draw elevation maps, though.
I think we discussed this before....but it's been a while. Is this the type of thing you have in mind

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 08851c.jpg

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Wed May 11, 2016 5:48 am

Kanchou wrote: We'll be doing more *free* presets as part of V1.0 and upload more to our website as we make more. Doing presets doesn't cost us anything other than a bit of time so we wouldn't charge for them.
Great to hear. I am terrible with thinking of good color combinations so rest assured I will download anything you make available. :)
I think we discussed this before....but it's been a while. Is this the type of thing you have in mind

Kind of. More like this one: http://lawr.ucdavis.edu/classes/ers105/ ... on_map.jpg

Pila

Post by Pila » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:44 am

Kanchou wrote:Stefan,

Thank you!

- Alejandro
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am

Pila wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing something like that :)
That's good to hear :). Yes, something like that can work as an option to the region tool (maybe its own tool), but would use some of the existing engine functions that we use for the lake shoreline - so it's something we could sneak in before V1.0 or right after.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Cronus3166

Post by Cronus3166 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:58 pm

As long as we still have the option to import our own art, I don't see any issues with also being able to purchase additional art. Can never go wrong with more options.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 am

Cronus3166 wrote:As long as we still have the option to import our own art, I don't see any issues with also being able to purchase additional art. Can never go wrong with more options.
Yes, the ability to import your own artwork will never go away - that's been one of our core objectives along with making OWM DRM free.

The artist that worked on our extra artsets (beyond the simple artwork from the campaign) has had some really cool ideas and samples for additional sets. We've considered doing a small KS campaign for that - but since OWM is not finished it's probably bad form.

We've also considered adding one or two sets that could be bought from our website, but since we would be self funding that additional art we wondered if there was any interest in (reasonably priced...) artwork packs.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Cronus3166

Post by Cronus3166 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:39 am

Kanchou wrote:
Cronus3166 wrote:As long as we still have the option to import our own art, I don't see any issues with also being able to purchase additional art. Can never go wrong with more options.
Yes, the ability to import your own artwork will never go away - that's been one of our core objectives along with making OWM DRM free.

The artist that worked on our extra artsets (beyond the simple artwork from the campaign) has had some really cool ideas and samples for additional sets. We've considered doing a small KS campaign for that - but since OWM is not finished it's probably bad form.

We've also considered adding one or two sets that could be bought from our website, but since we would be self funding that additional art we wondered if there was any interest in (reasonably priced...) artwork packs.

- Alejandro

Coming from a guy that bought several art styles from the Campaign Cartographer program, I support the idea of more art!

So sounds like a good idea from my seat.

grinless@gmail.com

Post by grinless@gmail.com » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am

Consider me interested in buying additional art packs.