Interactive Capability

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Napalm1473

Interactive Capability

Post by Napalm1473 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Greetings,

Does this tool have the ability to make "interactive" maps. ie, clicka location and get a popup of whats there?
Can't seem to find any information about it and i've tried searching on the forum also so that leads me to believe it does not and is used only for map exporting to an image file.

IF this does not have interactive capabilities, can anyone recommend a good, low cost program that does?
I don't require hosting, just the generation.

Appreciate your time on the topic.

edit:
should also note i don't require any assets. I simply want to import my image of my exisitng map to be able to have a clickable version i can host on my own domain but have the ability to click on a location and obtain further information about that area.

nDervish

Re: Interactive Capability

Post by nDervish » Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 am

Napalm1473 wrote:a clickable version i can host on my own domain but have the ability to click on a location and obtain further information about that area.
As soon as you brought the website into it, you moved into "the image format matters, not the tool used to create it" territory and I don't know of any image format (or browser) which supports it in an easy drop-in format. Back in the day, you'd do this by taking a plain old jpeg/gif image and using HTML code to set up an image map telling the browser "when the user clicks in this area, load such-and-such a document".

These days, image maps seem to have gone out of style, replaced by javascript containers, embedded applications, and so on, which require a bit more expertise to set up, but image maps are still in the HTML5 and XHTML specs and appear to be supported by all major browsers, so you should be able to use one to do what you want, with no special software support required beyond the ability to export your map as a plain image file (which pretty much every program can do).