Linux status?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

nDervish

Linux status?

Post by nDervish » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:31 am

The final stretch goal was to have Mac and Linux betas available by the Windows release date. As you move into the Windows RC releases, how's that looking? Will the non-Windows betas be ready in time? If not, is it known yet whether OWM plays nicely with Wine?

I'm definitely liking what I see in OWM 0.9.2, but it will be infinitely more useful to me if and when I can run it under Linux. Rebooting to go between different mapping tools and the campaign wiki would tend to delay game sessions...

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Linux status?

Post by Kanchou » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm

nDervish wrote:The final stretch goal was to have Mac and Linux betas available by the Windows release date. As you move into the Windows RC releases, how's that looking? Will the non-Windows betas be ready in time? If not, is it known yet whether OWM plays nicely with Wine?

I'm definitely liking what I see in OWM 0.9.2, but it will be infinitely more useful to me if and when I can run it under Linux. Rebooting to go between different mapping tools and the campaign wiki would tend to delay game sessions...
Very happy you like what you see with V0.9.2!

We've turned our focus fully to the Mac and Linux ports right now, but we are hesitant to give dates. Our hope is to have the Mac/Linux beta's out with the first V1.0 release.

* We know several people have been able to run OWM on a virtual machine in Mac/Linux (which is obviously not a long term solution).
* A couple of people tried Wine but weren't successful. We decided against spending time ourselves investigating this option since our priority is native Mac/Linux release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Re: Linux status?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 am

Kanchou wrote:We've turned our focus fully to the Mac and Linux ports right now, but we are hesitant to give dates. Our hope is to have the Mac/Linux beta's out with the first V1.0 release.

* We know several people have been able to run OWM on a virtual machine in Mac/Linux (which is obviously not a long term solution).
* A couple of people tried Wine but weren't successful. We decided against spending time ourselves investigating this option since our priority is native Mac/Linux release.
Yay! 8-)

I've been away for a while, and missed all the things that you have been up to, but it's great to see you bringing Other World Mapper to life.

(Soon, I'll actually have to work out how to use the thing I helped Kickstart! :o )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums