The Great Beta Artwork Feedback Thread

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

The Great Beta Artwork Feedback Thread

Post by Kanchou » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Please give us feedback regarding the artwork in this thread. The sets were created by different artists so please specify the artset when giving feedback.

Please note:

1) The feature/symbol files are the "final" artwork, so the names/folders are not expected to change.
2) The individual symbols will only change if an issue with them is found (i.e. a castle has a stray pixel).
3) Some of the sets will have additional color variations added with Beta 2 as well as additional symbols.
4) Beta 1 includes about half of the artwork (i.e. SciFI buildings, mythology set, etc. aren't included with Beta 1).
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

efremj

Re: The Great Beta Artwork Feedback Thread

Post by efremj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I've been using the heck out of the supplied artwork packs for OWM. I've also had to add several of my own original stuff to make up for areas where I needed certain objects or symbols. Here are some thoughts on the existing stuff and a wish list of sorts for future packs...

1. White or transparent objects should be an option for all supplied artwork. A lot of the art is available in white but there were some art packs that simply didn't have it as an option so you were stuck with an object with a color or level of darkness that didn't match the look and feel of the rest of the objects.

2. The "Simple Fantasy" pack was a bit too simple/too cartoonish for my liking although I did like the old-school look and feel of some of the vegetation art.

WISH LIST

1. Map symbols and icons: While there were a few staple items available like a couple of compass roses and some sea creatures, other things would be great like more ship icons, weather icons (waterspouts, whirlpool/maelstrom, waves!), map scale markers to show distance/scale, banners to overlay text on, shipwrecks or partially sunken ships, sharks!, whales. kraken!

2. Room key markers: These could be simple circles or squares with numbers or letters on them to mark rooms in dungeons for dungeon keys/manifests.

3. More terrain: Need more volcanoes/volcanic cones/domes, waterfalls, cave entrances, small islands with a palm tree (there's only one choice presently), sand bars/reefs, jungle trees, graveyards, magic/mana pools or areas of magic,

4. More objects: market stall icons, mine tracks, mine carts, tombstones/headstones, rope bridge, wooden bridge,

5. Egyptian type art (structures, objects, terrain)

6. Elven-themed art (structures, objects, terrain)

7. Dwarven-themed art (structures, objects, terrain)

8. Orc-themed art (structures, objects, terrain)

I'll stop here. ;-}~

-Efrem

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: The Great Beta Artwork Feedback Thread

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 pm

efremj wrote:I've been using the heck out of the supplied artwork packs for OWM. I've also had to add several of my own original stuff to make up for areas where I needed certain objects or symbols. Here are some thoughts on the existing stuff and a wish list of sorts for future packs...

1. White or transparent objects should be an option for all supplied artwork. A lot of the art is available in white but there were some art packs that simply didn't have it as an option so you were stuck with an object with a color or level of darkness that didn't match the look and feel of the rest of the objects.

2. The "Simple Fantasy" pack was a bit too simple/too cartoonish for my liking although I did like the old-school look and feel of some of the vegetation art.

-Efrem
1. A lot of the current artwork we also have in white and transparent, we just haven't had the time to process it (and check it for issues..) yet. I can't make promises for Beta 3, but it will be there for the release after.

2. The simple set was actually more of the demo for the Kickstarter, but we actually got several requests to keep it, so we kept it as a bonus set. Probably depends on the type of maps you are going for :)
efremj wrote: WISH LIST
-Efrem
Keep in mind there is missing artwork from Beta 2: a second fantasy set is part of the expansion pack that comes with beta, and some more sci-fi and post apoc stuff that is missing that we'll add as we have a change to go through.
Also, the Kickstarter promised mythology and pirate mini-sets which still need to be completed and added to the releases.
All in all Other World Mapper's first release will end up with quite a bit more artwork that the Kickstarter promised.

After that we'd really like to make additional pacts and your suggestions are really cool. We hope to do one or two for seeing how much interest they generate and then we'll see about adding more.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software