Namespaces

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

unklStewy

Namespaces

Post by unklStewy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:57 am

Alejandro & Stefanstr,

Good Points All!

My only comments here are on #4b as I think Alejandro addressed the others to my satisfaction.

I think this might be a good time to mention Name Spaces and we can break it off into a different discussion if needed but I think if we include it here it makes more sense.

I would like to have the ability to organize projects by Name Spaces .. i.e. Names Space = The Sword Coast

If you create a map inside of a Name Space/Sub-Name Space (The Sword Coast/Dessarin Valley) you could have it auto set template colors, map scale, icon sets and other favorite attributes so drawing can begin immediately. Creating a new Sub-Name Space inside and existing Name Space could even create auto links to the Name Space master map which could be dragged and dropped from a tool-box section onto the source map.

Name Space Creation Options (Possible)
Master: Dropdown Selection for Master Name Space
Name:
Size: H X W X Res
Source Map Icon: Dropdown Selection or File Dialog for Custom Icons
Color Palette: Select / Create as New Favorite
Default Icon Set: Select / Import Icon Set File Dialog (Possibly from a .zip archive)
Map Properties: Select / Create as New Favorite - Dialogs to configure default shoreline behaviors for Seas, inland lakes and streams, default terrain and forest regions (create or select existing presets), roads (major, intermediate, minor, paths),

ETC... As it seems fitting..

My suggestion would be to have a Name Space creation option on the New Map dialogue under Initial Map Settings. These would then be carried over as they are now. Then in the Properties area of the MDI parent you could have the default palette options auto selected with a collapsible panel/additional menu dialogue to let the user select overrides at a later time if needed.

If you allow the creation of Name Spaces on the New Map dialogue it would save a lot of document editing overhead and it would make designing cohesive worlds much easier. Then you can just start drawing and keep it up until your little heart's content.

Just My .02 Cents:
Casey A. :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

unklStewy

Re: Namespaces

Post by unklStewy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:02 am

Additionally,

You should allow sub-name spaces to inherit feature settings from parent objects or allow in scope overrides for each sub space..

Such as .. The Sword Coast/Dessarin Valley (grasslands)/The Quarry (Rocky Territory, Scrub Grass)

The Dessarin Valley would inherit the forest settings from The Sword Coast and perhaps the water way settings, The Quarry would inherit color palette from each of the parents but would set its grass land colors separately based on the new Sub-Name Space.. This could all be tracked fairly easy in a sqlLite/NoSQL db file or in a simple XML document. I would prefer sqlLite or NoSQL to a flat file xml but that's just personal preference and you have to serve the masses.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:05 pm

unklStewy wrote: If you allow the creation of Name Spaces on the New Map dialogue it would save a lot of document editing overhead and it would make designing cohesive worlds much easier. Then you can just start drawing and keep it up until your little heart's content.
This is an awesome idea, Casey! I’m all for it.

If we implement something like my idea, you could actually also have a dropdown above the “Presets Palette” that let’s you switch to another Name Space, if needed, or even create a new one, maybe.

Also, speaking of palettes: I feel that what currently is called “Palette” should be a tool instead. “Object Tool” or something. And the Feature Sets and Categories should be shown where the Item Properties are being displayed now - and only if I have selected that specific tool. I can’t think of any situation where I would need to see Item Properties and objects from the Palette at the same time... And it would give us more real estate for the actual map.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:04 pm

unklStewy wrote: Namespaces
Just "tagging" you since I split the topic. This is a very interesting idea we need to look into and it needs its own topic so it doesn't get lost under generic UI feedback :)

Additional comments/ideas are welcome!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 am

Kanchou wrote:
unklStewy wrote: Namespaces
Just "tagging" you since I split the topic. This is a very interesting idea we need to look into and it needs its own topic so it doesn't get lost under generic UI feedback :)

Additional comments/ideas are welcome!

- Alejandro
Alejandro,

Thank you for the heads up ..

Namespaces might also make it a tad easier to carry maps and map settings over between versions of OWM.

1) If a default/program supplied pallet is altered between versions Other World Mapper could prompt the user to continue using old versions or to upgrade all name spaces with the newer (hopefully nicer) textures from the same family.

Namespaces could also allow cartographers to namespace swap via texture mapping. ..

1) between vector fills and shades for drawing and designing and to photo-realistic or high rez textures for final render and print. Users would be saving CPU and Memory during design phases.
For Instance: NS-Fatherall-Vector Textures map to NS-Fatherall-FinalRender
Texture-Region-Trails-Shaded ---> Texture-HiRes-Gravel.png

I hope that makes sense, I am at work at the moment and I don't have OWM to draw a sample ..

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net