A few thoughts on the „New Map“ dialog box

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

stefanstr

A few thoughts on the „New Map“ dialog box

Post by stefanstr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:38 am

I am not a big fan of the current „New Map“ dialog. A few unordered thoughts on it.

1) All of the existing presets are vertical. All of my maps are wider than they are tall so this strikes me as odd. Request: please add the option to flip the selected preset by 90 degrees.
2) Now that we have projections, an „equirectangular world map“ preset of 2:1 would be in order (and it would be the one I would use most frequently).
3) Please add the option to create and save our own presets. (And to delete unneeded ones.)
4) It would be great to have an option to lock proportions when resizing a preset.
5) Could we please have a general setting to use centigrade instead of imperial? (E.g., to always have the measure tool in „km“ instead of miles by default.)

Also, one thing I don’t quite understand: What does the "px/inch" setting do if you define the map size in pixels?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: A few thoughts on the „New Map“ dialog box

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 am

stefanstr wrote:I am not a big fan of the current „New Map“ dialog. A few unordered thoughts on it.

1) All of the existing presets are vertical. All of my maps are wider than they are tall so this strikes me as odd. Request: please add the option to flip the selected preset by 90 degrees.
2) Now that we have projections, an „equirectangular world map“ preset of 2:1 would be in order (and it would be the one I would use most frequently).
3) Please add the option to create and save our own presets. (And to delete unneeded ones.)
4) It would be great to have an option to lock proportions when resizing a preset.
5) Could we please have a general setting to use centigrade instead of imperial? (E.g., to always have the measure tool in „km“ instead of miles by default.)
Short answers today ;)
1) Planned already
2) Will do
3) Will consider
4) Will do
5) We'll try to add that. Right now it's just the map scale that would be affected, so we didn't think about it.
stefanstr wrote:Also, one thing I don’t quite understand: What does the "px/inch" setting do if you define the map size in pixels?
Pixel size is resolution independent, someone may want to define their map size in something they are more familiar with (i.e. inches, cm, etc) and at a certain resolution. OWM would then calculate the correct pixel size for the size/resolution combo.
Is that what you meant?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks Alejandro!

I like all the „Will do-s“ ;)

Re my last comment - what I was trying to convey is that it is kind of confusing to be able to set the dpi for a map that’s already defined in terms of pixels. Maybe you should gray out that option if the size of the map is set in pixels and not in cm/inches?

EDIT: for the imperial vs centigrade, you could pull the right value from the OS’s system settings, I guess?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:37 am

No problem! That's why feedback is helpful :)
stefanstr wrote:Re my last comment - what I was trying to convey is that it is kind of confusing to be able to set the dpi for a map that’s already defined in terms of pixels. Maybe you should gray out that option if the size of the map is set in pixels and not in cm/inches?
It's pretty standard the way we have it (i.e. that's what Photoshop does it) and it still valid when you selected the size in pixels because OWM will remember that resolution when you go to export or print the map (which printing is not working yet..). But say you select the pixel size to be 2000px x 2000px, then the resolution settings will let OWM what "real units" size to print the map if you just went to File->Print and didn't change any options.
stefanstr wrote: EDIT: for the imperial vs centigrade, you could pull the right value from the OS’s system settings, I guess?
Good idea, we'll try that.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software