Re-generating fractal segments

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Re-generating fractal segments

Post by Kanchou » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:48 am

stefanstr wrote:To finish the topic of fractalization:

A feature I would like to see is removing fractalization and applying fractalization to finished objects. Removing fractalization should optimally follow the „general layout“ of the fractal, but it would be ok if it only preserves the nodes. Applying fractalization would need some controls to fine-tune it (or maybe it could be applied to individual segments), and it would be very useful when „making map from selection“ - when even previously fractalized features can no longer feel detailed enough.

PS: now that I think of it, being able to select a segment of an already exiting object and editing it like when we create a new object would be awesome. (E.g., selecting a piece of coast you don’t like and looking through new fractal suggestions or fine tuning the settings of the fractal generator.)
In Alpha 2 you could select fractal segments, but we didn't work out a good way to "re-roll" the fractal segments. We'll try to add that back in properly with Beta 1.

Right now, remember that you edit both the "shape control points" and the individual points with the point tool (drop down in the points edit tool bar to choose between individual and shape control). There you could add new individual points to modify the shape, but I see how that would be tedious when working with a fractal generated shape :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 am

Working with individual points on a fractal segment is very tedious and time consuming. Doesn’t seem like something anyone would like to do...

I would still like to see a „defractalize“ option, and I’m glade you’re going to include the ability to select and rework fractal segments.

One more thing on the topic: is there a way to only cancel the last segment I added when creating an object? Having to delete and redo the whole thing is cumbersome...

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:46 am

stefanstr wrote:Working with individual points on a fractal segment is very tedious and time consuming. Doesn’t seem like something anyone would like to do...

I would still like to see a „defractalize“ option, and I’m glade you’re going to include the ability to select and rework fractal segments.

One more thing on the topic: is there a way to only cancel the last segment I added when creating an object? Having to delete and redo the whole thing is cumbersome...
Alt+Z, or from the menu, edit->undo segment.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

lauraoliva

Post by lauraoliva » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Since I need city maps atm, and city maps aren't a feature of OWM at present, I'm mostly lurking, too, when I'm not working or hand drawing my cities. :x

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

stefanstr wrote: - depending on the scroll wheel is a big no-no for folks working on a touchpad (maybe less common on Windows but commonplace on the Mac - and you are going to have a Mac version) - it would be nice if you also added some keyboard shortcuts that do the same thing. Something simple that can be operated with one hand, like „w“ to move forward and „q“ to move back or something.
What about Arrow Up and Arrow Down?

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:40 am

Kanchou wrote:
stefanstr wrote: - depending on the scroll wheel is a big no-no for folks working on a touchpad (maybe less common on Windows but commonplace on the Mac - and you are going to have a Mac version) - it would be nice if you also added some keyboard shortcuts that do the same thing. Something simple that can be operated with one hand, like „w“ to move forward and „q“ to move back or something.
What about Arrow Up and Arrow Down?

- Alejandro
Maybe less than ideal. For one, it's to the right of the keyboard, so will be inconvenient to use with your right hand on the touchpad. And if you decide at any point that you want to allow any form of navigation by keyboard, you would have to redo it.

Maybe W and S? Anybody who plays games will get that it kind of is "up" and "down".

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:48 am

stefanstr wrote: Maybe W and S? Anybody who plays games will get that it kind of is "up" and "down".
W and S will be!
(now I want to play Unreal Tournament...but it's probably a bad idea considering it's almost 3AM....)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software