Re-generating fractal segments

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re-generating fractal segments

Post by Kanchou » Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 pm

We've had a question on this, so we wanted to make a note for everyone.

If you are using one of the fractal tools, and you are not happy with the segment generated, holding down the "Shift" key and using the mouse wheel scroll will generate a different random fractal segment.

We'll make sure to add this to the next rev of the overview document.

So, a question for you. Is this a good way to re-generate the segments while drawing an item? Would you like a different way to do this?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Rumburak

Re: Re-generating fractal segments

Post by Rumburak » Sun May 10, 2015 4:59 am

I like it the way it is implemented at the moment. :D

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:25 am

Kanchou,

I am quite happy with the fractal randomization as it is now..

Devils Advocate Time: I think the shift+scroll is an effective method but it might confuse some people who come from other drawing utilities where the Zoom commands are Shift+Scroll up/down.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:18 pm

unklStewy wrote:Kanchou,

I am quite happy with the fractal randomization as it is now..

Devils Advocate Time: I think the shift+scroll is an effective method but it might confuse some people who come from other drawing utilities where the Zoom commands are Shift+Scroll up/down.

We didn't think about it, but you are right. Any suggestions for alternative shortcuts :)?

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:17 am

Kanchou wrote:
We didn't think about it, but you are right. Any suggestions for alternative shortcuts :)?

- Alejandro
Ctrl+R+[Scroll] or META+R+[Scroll] .. R for refactor?

The WINDOWS/META key can be a little under utilized and the META commands aren't processed by the shell until key release so commands like WIN+R (run) can be used to build other more complex commands.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm

After talking about it we are going to stay with shift + scroll for the fractal regeneration but add ctrl+scroll for zoom in/out (that is a shortcut also used for zoom in/out with the scroll). That way we can stay with one key shortcuts for both actions.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:35 am

This is one of my favorite features ever!

I have a few usability suggestions, though:

- this tool would be even more useful if it saved a history of the last few suggestions. I found myself scrolling past a shape I liked only to discover that scrolling back doesn’t bring me back to the previous shape I’d seen but generates a new one
- depending on the scroll wheel is a big no-no for folks working on a touchpad (maybe less common on Windows but commonplace on the Mac - and you are going to have a Mac version) - it would be nice if you also added some keyboard shortcuts that do the same thing. Something simple that can be operated with one hand, like „w“ to move forward and „q“ to move back or something.
- I have noticed this feature doesn’t seem to work with the partitioning tool for me (bug?)

PS: after playing with OWM for a few hours, I have a full page of notes, usability suggestions, etc. But I don’t want to flood the forum, so I will post them gradually as I use the program more.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 am

stefanstr wrote:PS: after playing with OWM for a few hours, I have a full page of notes, usability suggestions, etc. But I don’t want to flood the forum, so I will post them gradually as I use the program more.
We definitely appreciate all feedback and it's very helpful to us, so keep it coming! :)

1) We'll try to add the functionality for keeping history of regenerated fractal segments. It's a good idea!

2) Good point, we didn't think about touchpads for fractal re-generation.

3) It is indeed a bug. I'll add it to our tracking system.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:31 am

To finish the topic of fractalization:

A feature I would like to see is removing fractalization and applying fractalization to finished objects. Removing fractalization should optimally follow the „general layout“ of the fractal, but it would be ok if it only preserves the nodes. Applying fractalization would need some controls to fine-tune it (or maybe it could be applied to individual segments), and it would be very useful when „making map from selection“ - when even previously fractalized features can no longer feel detailed enough.

BTW: where is everybody? Is there some other place to give feedback or are the Beta backers extremely private people? ;)

PS: now that I think of it, being able to select a segment of an already exiting object and editing it like when we create a new object would be awesome. (E.g., selecting a piece of coast you don’t like and looking through new fractal suggestions or fine tuning the settings of the fractal generator.)

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:04 am

stefanstr wrote:BTW: where is everybody? Is there some other place to give feedback or are the Beta backers extremely private people?
Luuuuuurrrrrrkiiiiing.. ;)

I would like to be more active at the moment but we have entered our busy season in the CCTV/Security industry. Everyone is trying to install before winter so that leaves me with a lot of work. I promise I will be back to testing OWM A3 ASAP... ;)

Casey A. :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net