V1.0.1 is out!

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Post by Kyete » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Jones wrote:The Z-order within grouped features gets scrambled after dragging them :-(

EDIT: if you ungroup them before dragging the Z-order is kept. Strange bug. ;)
I am seeing an issue with Z-order scrambling when dragging multiple features to a different parent, both in the layers and on the map, but it's regardless of whether the features are grouped or not. That'll be fixed in next release, but is that what you're seeing?

-Katie

Jones

Post by Jones » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:34 am

Kyete wrote: is that what you're seeing?
I see the issue dragging multiple features within the same parent (in layers, haven't tried on map) but you're right: it happens regardless of whether the features are grouped or not.

Niidhogg

Post by Niidhogg » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:47 am

Nice update, no bugs seen on my 4k computer now, I tell you if i find some but i'm not using the soft that much lately for I have done the maps i needed for now. I'll definitivly use the soft again for more maps tho ! :)

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Jones wrote: I see the issue dragging multiple features within the same parent (in layers, haven't tried on map) but you're right: it happens regardless of whether the features are grouped or not.
Yes, I see what you're talking about. It will be fixed in the next release. Thank you for pointing it out!

-Katie

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Holy CRAP the archipelago tool is AMAZING! It has taken my maps to a whole other level! THANKS SO MUCH for implementing this feature!!!

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 pm

OK so I have been mapping it up today after seeing the new release, and I have a question: why does it take a lifetime for the program to complete a landmass "difference merge"?

I work on really large maps (40x40 inches at 300 ppi), so that's a factor, but I am running on intel i9 9900K, an RTX 2080, all solid-state hard drives, and 64 GBs of DDR4 3200 RAM. This beast can run oodles of photoshop renders on gigantic 600 ppi images in mere seconds, yet it takes around 30 minutes to do a difference merge on a few landmasses. What gives on that? On a rig this speedy, I ain't used to waiting on anything to process so it really stands out- 30 mins seems like a lifetime.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Jimsocks wrote:OK so I have been mapping it up today after seeing the new release, and I have a question: why does it take a lifetime for the program to complete a landmass "difference merge"?

I work on really large maps (40x40 inches at 300 ppi), so that's a factor, but I am running on intel i9 9900K, an RTX 2080, all solid-state hard drives, and 64 GBs of DDR4 3200 RAM. This beast can run oodles of photoshop renders on gigantic 600 ppi images in mere seconds, yet it takes around 30 minutes to do a difference merge on a few landmasses. What gives on that? On a rig this speedy, I ain't used to waiting on anything to process so it really stands out- 30 mins seems like a lifetime.
Glad you liked the archipelago option! :)

On your question, the short answer is that OWM does true Bezier path merging (that is, it doesn't turn the shapes to linear vectors to do this), so it's a CPU intensive operation.

One factor maybe that your landmasses have a lot of points when so many may not be needed (that depends on how your created them). You can try the "reduce points" tool from the tool menu and different tolerance values to see if OWM finds points to simplify. You can look at the landmasses and see if the simplification is too much (it normally shouldn't be with a tolerance of 1 or less px).

Let me know if that makes the merge operations go a bit faster.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:31 am

I have a similar issue in 1.0.3 when generating the shorelines: it takes around 10 minutes and "auto reduce points" is active from the beginning.

But the problem seems to be that OWM is just using 1 core at a time, but from my amateur projects I know how painful multi-core programming can be, therefore I am not complaining ^^
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:57 pm

Balmung wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:31 am
I have a similar issue in 1.0.3 when generating the shorelines: it takes around 10 minutes and "auto reduce points" is active from the beginning.

But the problem seems to be that OWM is just using 1 core at a time, but from my amateur projects I know how painful multi-core programming can be, therefore I am not complaining ^^
OWM uses multi-core for several parts of the engine, including the shoreline. I wonder why you are not seeing multiple cores being used? Are you on Windows, Linux or OSX?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Win 10 Pro x64
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM