V0.9.2 is out!

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

V0.9.2 is out!

Post by Kanchou » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 am

Switching to faster release cycles, V0.9.2 is now out! You'll see new functionality from the recent feedback as well as changes to fix some issues.

Everyone should have received a product update email. If you didn't please let us know! Also let us know if the email ended up under spam.

Features Added:
--------------------------

OWM-504 — Added guides/marks to ruler for current mouse position
OWM-514 — Made Color Button for all windows click through straight to custom color dialog
OWM-525 — Added px/mm as a resolution
OWM-534 — Added opacity selection for Grid Labels
OWM-537 — Added the ability to save OWM Templates and create new maps from templates
OWM-538 — Properly implement feature colorization
OWM-539 — Added feature rotate shortcut during drawing (alt+wheel)
OWM-541 — Made feature selection based on actual feature outline (up to 500x500 px features)

Functional Problems Fixed:
OWM-506 — Items selected as individual selections (select tool) are now rotated individually when rotating
OWM-501 — Corrected problems with large items that use textures along the item (i.e. walls)
OWM-502 — Spiral stairs textures no longer show gaps with large sizes
OWM-503 — Changed item preview style for city walls so inner edge is shown
OWM-505 — Color for the grid labels is no longer by the grid color
OWM-511 — Corrected issue with floating tool window interrupting draw for certain drawing types
OWM-521 — Layers no longer collapse when switching between maps
OWM-528 — Corrected blur issue with features
OWM-529 — Corrected re-center issue when changing image associated with feature
OWM-530 — The transform tool no longer becomes confused when trying to select an item that is underneath the cutout section of another item
OWM-536 — Texture fills no longer shift with changes to properties
OWM-542 — Group feature selection no longer cut off during menu triggered rotation

Cosmetic Problems Fixed:
OWM-523 — Move, Add and Sub point are now disabled when nothing selected

Usability Problems Fixed:
OWM-524 — Changed range of fixed ratio W vs H
OWM-531 — Art Manager Move now defaults to current set

Artwork Changes:
None.

Known Problems:
OWM-125 — Reverse polar transforms for certain projections don't work properly
OWM-309 — The map export size is limited to 23000x23000 pixels
OWM-376 — City Wall edges and tower edges show visual artifacts
OWM-389 — Columns on corridors created by Bezier pens can be positioned incorrectly
OWM-526 - UI scaling for high resolution (and small display..) devices
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Re: V0.9.2 is out!

Post by smithy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Been doing a small amount of work on latest version, it seems to be a lot more stable than previous ones when opening large files or multiple files.
I was getting crashes quite often before.
Looking good!

Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

smithy wrote:Been doing a small amount of work on latest version, it seems to be a lot more stable than previous ones when opening large files or multiple files.
I was getting crashes quite often before.
Looking good!

Smithy
Hearing that makes us very happy! We found several issues between Beta 6 and RC1 that had to do with stability and slow resource leak. Hopefully we caught them all.

Let us know if you notice anything amiss.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I tried to update, and it blew up in my face. The installer mentioned it saw the previous version of OWM and was just going to do an update, so I said sure. It asked for me to input my administrator password at some point to continue so I did. Then during install it came up with a warning message “can’t install file location if it already exists!” So I said to ignore that as no other option worked. It finished the update and then said I couldn’t open OWM because I didn’t have permissions.

I tried everything, and finally decided to uninstall OWM and try to install the new version from scratch, only then I began to see how far down the rabbit hole I had fallen! The computer “uninstalled” it, but the files still remained... I tried to delete them manually and the computer said I didn’t have permission to delete them- even as an administrator!

Window’s “add and remove programs” no longer can find the OWM program even though it still sits right where it always has, and I can’t delete or run the program, nor can I install the new update.

UPDATE: FIXED!
I restarted the computer and it restored my rights to delete the old directory. Then I was able to install the new update from scratch. Lost all my art manager re-orgs and themes, but oh well at least I got it figured out!

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Suggestion for next useability improvement: The “click to finish” and “click to continue/start following contour” bullseyes can be VERY finicky. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to move my mouse onto juuuuuuuust the exact pixel it wants me to be on when I click. Making the target area for these clicks a more forgiving size would alleviate the frustration.

Suggestion for implementation:
Ability to mark rivers and lakes as “children” to a cave element- so we can have awesome water features in our cave systems that aren’t bound to only the stream and region tools :). This would add dynamic stream width sizing, river-to-pool connections, and shoreline support within caves (deltas too!) which are currently lacking in underground environments.

Also- awesome on making the art manager menu fix

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Also: think I discovered a bug. In the Feature List Manager, selecting a Feature Set from the “Set” dropdown that is lower on the list than “Sketchy Fantasy” doesn’t work. I can select sets from “Sketchy Fantasy” and above, but selecting below that won’t show the artwork from the selected set.

The artwork from any set IS still available in the “All” tab of the Feature tool. It just seems the List Manager is bugged on its drop-down list for sets.

EDIT: Discovered more about this bug. The “Set” dropdown menu is listing every set I have TWICE. Thus, if I select from lower on the list than the end of the original list of sets it doesn’t display anything. So to try to be clear, the dropdown lists all sets to choose from in order, then lists them all in order again. Choosing from lower on the list than where the list should’ve ended results in nothing. This means I still have access to all artwork in the List Manager as long as I select from the upper half of the list. Remove the double-listing of sets, and this bug is fixed :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:19 am

Jimsocks wrote:I tried to update, and it blew up in my face. The installer mentioned it saw the previous version of OWM and was just going to do an update, so I said sure. It asked for me to input my administrator password at some point to continue so I did. Then during install it came up with a warning message “can’t install file location if it already exists!” So I said to ignore that as no other option worked. It finished the update and then said I couldn’t open OWM because I didn’t have permissions.

I tried everything, and finally decided to uninstall OWM and try to install the new version from scratch, only then I began to see how far down the rabbit hole I had fallen! The computer “uninstalled” it, but the files still remained... I tried to delete them manually and the computer said I didn’t have permission to delete them- even as an administrator!

Window’s “add and remove programs” no longer can find the OWM program even though it still sits right where it always has, and I can’t delete or run the program, nor can I install the new update.

UPDATE: FIXED!
I restarted the computer and it restored my rights to delete the old directory. Then I was able to install the new update from scratch. Lost all my art manager re-orgs and themes, but oh well at least I got it figured out!
Thank you for all the feedback!! I'll go through it one at the time.

1. Not sure why that happened our why you were prompted to enter the admin password. We haven't seen anything like that during testing so I'd like to know what happened.
Questions for you:
a) What version of Windows do you have?
b) What version of OWM did you have installed before updating.

Sorry this happened! For future reference, your art manager re-orgs and themes are in the files that you deleted so you should have been able to move them else where instead of deleting (also, they may still be in your recyble bin). You might also have been able to install over once you restarted.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am

Jimsocks wrote:Suggestion for next useability improvement: The “click to finish” and “click to continue/start following contour” bullseyes can be VERY finicky. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to move my mouse onto juuuuuuuust the exact pixel it wants me to be on when I click. Making the target area for these clicks a more forgiving size would alleviate the frustration.
We'll look into the "bullseyes" it may be a matter of just the click range (and perhaps making it something configurable in the future).
Jimsocks wrote: Suggestion for implementation:
Ability to mark rivers and lakes as “children” to a cave element- so we can have awesome water features in our cave systems that aren’t bound to only the stream and region tools :). This would add dynamic stream width sizing, river-to-pool connections, and shoreline support within caves (deltas too!) which are currently lacking in underground environments.
That's a good point. I'll get the rest of the team to brain storm some options. Thank you!
Jimsocks wrote: Also- awesome on making the art manager menu fix
Yup! Thank you for bringing it up! Small changes and bug fixes requested by our users always have a priority for the next release :)

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

Jimsocks wrote:Also: think I discovered a bug. In the Feature List Manager, selecting a Feature Set from the “Set” dropdown that is lower on the list than “Sketchy Fantasy” doesn’t work. I can select sets from “Sketchy Fantasy” and above, but selecting below that won’t show the artwork from the selected set.

The artwork from any set IS still available in the “All” tab of the Feature tool. It just seems the List Manager is bugged on its drop-down list for sets.

EDIT: Discovered more about this bug. The “Set” dropdown menu is listing every set I have TWICE. Thus, if I select from lower on the list than the end of the original list of sets it doesn’t display anything. So to try to be clear, the dropdown lists all sets to choose from in order, then lists them all in order again. Choosing from lower on the list than where the list should’ve ended results in nothing. This means I still have access to all artwork in the List Manager as long as I select from the upper half of the list. Remove the double-listing of sets, and this bug is fixed :)
That's really odd. Can you check to make sure somehow the folders themselves aren't duplicated in your installation folder?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software