Floor texture and Grid Alignment

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Korav

Floor texture and Grid Alignment

Post by Korav » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am

So I have been using the Dungeon Tools to create maps for Roll20. Roll20 uses a 70px square grid.

The problem is that it seems impossible to center floor textures to the grid. Here is an example image:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (62.12 KiB) Viewed 12337 times
As you can see the floor texture has a base square pattern (black lines), but as far as I can see there isn't an effective way to align this to the grid (white lines). You can change the floor texture scale, but only by individual % points. Changing the Outer Stroke also impacts the texture centering, but even trying to use a combination of these settings, it still seems impossible to scale it to the correct size and align the underlying text to the grid in the case that the texture already has a square pattern.

This gives a very poor experience in Roll20, because it makes it "feel" as though you cannot align the map to the grid even though the walls align perfectly.

Is there any way to effectively scale and align textures to the grid?

Korav

Re: Floor texture and Grid Alignment

Post by Korav » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 am

I noticed that the walls also impact the texture alignment.

It seems if there was a way to scale textures beyond by a fraction of a percentage point and the ability to change the X and Y position of the texture it might allow it to line up with the grid.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Korav wrote:I noticed that the walls also impact the texture alignment.

It seems if there was a way to scale textures beyond by a fraction of a percentage point and the ability to change the X and Y position of the texture it might allow it to line up with the grid.
Those are all very good points. I'm adding it as a feature request. V0.9.1 added many floor textures that had tiles, but it wasn't noticeable before.

Do you think your suggestion is the best way to make OWM work well for Roll20? Any other suggestions? Let us know, and we'll try to fit it with our next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Korav

Post by Korav » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Since you asked, a few things that either I don't know how to do or find myself repeating:

1) Creating a new map - Generally I have a pretty standard size in mind, given that Roll20 uses a standard size square (70px), so being able to save custom "Preset Sizes" when creating a new map would be helpful. For example if I want to make a 20x20 dungeon in Roll20, I know I need to set it as a 1400x1400px size with, then change the resolution to 70 px/in, then change the map scale so 5 ft = 70px. This is essentially 6 fields that I change with every map I make, where as if I had a preset the only thing I would need to change is the width and height.

2) Grid configuration - same basic problem, every map I make I have to change the grid settings because there is no way to define a preset configuration, nor is there a way to set a default.

3) Unless I am missing something, there doesn't seem to be a good way to transition from a dungeon created using the closed area tool to a section of the dungeon created with the cave tool. Here is an example:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (162.92 KiB) Viewed 12331 times
The cave is the area at the "south" side of the closed area, because it is always behind the closed area layer, there is no way to have it transition well (basically you need to separate it by a door to make it "look" correct).

The area to the "west" side of the closed area is a actually a boundary made to look like a cave. It gives you a bit of a different look on the transition, but still doesn't look "natural". It would be nice if there was a way to transition from cave to closed area and vice versa where the walls merge (but remain styled) and there is a transition of the flooring similar to how paths fade at the edges.

Also, is there a reason why caves cannot be placed at a higher layer than closed areas?

4) I have quite a lot of purchased art from Roll20 that I would like to use in OWM, however there is a very strange loss of detail when placing items onto the map. Here are two exact pieces, the one on the left was placed on the map, the one on the right is the what is shown on the cursor, please see the attached example:
example 2.jpg
example 2.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 12331 times
Last edited by Korav on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Korav

Post by Korav » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

5) If using external art, particularly tile sets, it would be good to have an option to rotate items while placing them. This would be similar to the shift-scroll wheel to resize features. Maybe alt-scroll wheel to rotate by 15%?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Korav wrote:5) If using external art, particularly tile sets, it would be good to have an option to rotate items while placing them. This would be similar to the shift-scroll wheel to resize features. Maybe alt-scroll wheel to rotate by 15%?

Thank you for all the feedback!

We'll be looking into it, 3) is the one that would be the hardest to implement and so far we had been pushing for after V1.0. But I'll see what we can do.

Regarding 4), it looks like the final rasterizer is doing something odd that is most noticeable with highly detailed images - almost like a blurring effect?

Is there any chance you can email me just one of those pngs to use as reference? I'll delete it once I'm done testing different configurations.
info@threemindssoftware.com

Thank you!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Korav

Post by Korav » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm

File has been sent, thanks for your assistance!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Korav wrote:File has been sent, thanks for your assistance!
Hello!

For 1) and 2) V0.9.2 is introducing the ability to save map templates and create new maps from templates. This way you'll be able to save your own Roll20 templates (for instance) with the size, grid configuration, etc. the way you want them.

4) Was fixed as we addressed another bug that was found with V0.9.1. Thanks!

5) We'll be adding this too.

The only issue remaining would be 3). We've been working on interaction between the 3 parent types for dungeons (Closed Areas, Corridors and Caves), but the changes won't make it in time for V.0.9.2. We'll start regression testing this weekend, so hopefully we'll have the new release by the beginning of September.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software