Art Manager

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Korav

Art Manager

Post by Korav » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:35 am

Hello,

I am currently using the latest beta (Dec 2016), really looking forward to release (and hopefully some stability fixes or at least an auto-save feature). I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a defect with the Art Manager.

Basically I am trying to import features that include things like furniture and other objects that I would like to place on maps, but if I select "features" the import button grays out. If I close and reopen the Art Manager the import button is active, but every time I try to import anything (other than a background it seem) it fails saying that it cannot copy the file.

Is there a fix for this? Is the art manager improved in the release candidate?

Did you ever consider allowing people to simply drag (supported extensions) art objects onto the map? It would make importing art simple, basically allowing you to have things in a generic (uncategorized) location, then you could use the art manager to move things into more appropriate locations.

Thanks!
Korav

Korav

Re: Art Manager

Post by Korav » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 am

Another question, have there been thoughts on allowing the Alpha/Beta supporters access to development builds or at least the release candidate?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:33 pm

Korav wrote:Hello,
I am currently using the latest beta (Dec 2016), really looking forward to release (and hopefully some stability fixes or at least an auto-save feature).
We think all of the stability issues are being fixed with the upcoming Release Candidate (one of the reasons this release has taken us so long - regression testing was very extensive).
Korav wrote: I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a defect with the Art Manager.
Basically I am trying to import features that include things like furniture and other objects that I would like to place on maps, but if I select "features" the import button grays out. If I close and reopen the Art Manager the import button is active, but every time I try to import anything (other than a background it seem) it fails saying that it cannot copy the file.

Is there a fix for this? Is the art manager improved in the release candidate?
The Art Manager worked fine for us and testers with Beta 6 (we are fixing a few bugs, but nothing big). To use it you have to expand the "Features" tree and either create a new "Set" (like the existing "Basic Overhead") and a new "Category" inside, or create a "Category" for an existing "Set."

The issue here I believe is that we need to do tutorials and we'll be spending several weeks after V0.9.1 doing exactly that.
Korav wrote: Did you ever consider allowing people to simply drag (supported extensions) art objects onto the map? It would make importing art simple, basically allowing you to have things in a generic (uncategorized) location, then you could use the art manager to move things into more appropriate locations.
We'll think of a way of doing that, basically creating a new set that is uncategorized. We'll add it to the change requests for us to investigate.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Korav wrote:Another question, have there been thoughts on allowing the Alpha/Beta supporters access to development builds or at least the release candidate?
We'll definitely be doing that in the future. All past releases so far had been Beta and Alpha releases, so we were in essence doing that already since all our user base right now are "beta users."

Once we have a solid release candidate we'll do development builds before a new major release that alpha/beta users can access.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software