Location of Shoreline and Border Options

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

jagdpanther

Location of Shoreline and Border Options

Post by jagdpanther » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:26 pm

After spending ten minutes trying to find the shoreline options in the Canvas or Landmass section of the Layers window and the corresponding Properties windows, I found it the Map drop-down menu. For consistency reasons I would think that shorelines (and borders) would be part of Landmass Properties.

Why are shoreline options in the Map drop-down and not part of Landmass Properties? :?:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Location of Shoreline and Border Options

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:53 am

jagdpanther wrote:After spending ten minutes trying to find the shoreline options in the Canvas or Landmass section of the Layers window and the corresponding Properties windows, I found it the Map drop-down menu. For consistency reasons I would think that shorelines (and borders) would be part of Landmass Properties.

Why are shoreline options in the Map drop-down and not part of Landmass Properties? :?:
Thank you for your feedback!!

They were originally, when the canvas properties were the overall map properties. But, as we added more functionality, the properties window for the overall map became too convoluted and we changed it partly from user feedback during the alpha phase.

The idea behind the current layout is that the properties that appear when you don't have an item selected are the "canvas properties" which is just the background behind the overall map. The borders are an overlay like the projection lines and the grid lines (considering adding them to the layers window for that reason), so we think it makes sense that they are configured from the "Map" drop down.

The shorelines are not an overlay per say, but would clutter the canvas properties since it's not something you are like to change often. That's also the case for the borders and the other overlays, once you set them up you are likely to use that setting for the map and not change it.

What do you think?

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

jagdpanther

Re: Location of Shoreline and Border Options

Post by jagdpanther » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:01 pm

The shorelines are not an overlay per say, but would clutter the canvas properties since it's not something you are like to change
Yes for a given map, once I set the shorelines I don't change it and it makes sense to not clutter up the properties windows with something that will probably only be changed once (or not-at-all) per map.

I'm looking forward to the next release.

J