From complete world map to reagion

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

TrolleFrostholm

From complete world map to reagion

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:39 am

Hello people, i have been using OWM to make my new world, and i love the program.

But i have come to a small problem, i made the hole world in max. size the program can make, to have as much detail as posible. Now i have to issues

1: is there a way to make a new map from only lets say 10% of the map, and the rescale to more detail.

2: when i use the export to png file i can only scale to 200% if i choose more that tha the program will visualize that it is redering the map, but the map will never not be created, the image file simply is not there.

Maybee i am doing this wrong, simply all i want is to make a realm map and the some zoom in maps where there ar much more detail ;)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: From complete world map to reagion

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 pm

TrolleFrostholm wrote:Hello people, i have been using OWM to make my new world, and i love the program.
Very happy to hear that! :)
TrolleFrostholm wrote:1: is there a way to make a new map from only lets say 10% of the map, and the rescale to more detail.
You can select part of the map and then go to "New From Selection" which will create a new map using the selection and you can scale it, etc. The only problem with that option is that it has to select "full items" so if you want to select part of a continent you'll have to break it up by hand using the partition tool so you can select it.

Down the road we plan to have a way so that the cutting out gets done automatically if you draw a selection rectangle, but for now you'll have to do the method above.

TrolleFrostholm wrote: 2: when i use the export to png file i can only scale to 200% if i choose more that tha the program will visualize that it is redering the map, but the map will never not be created, the image file simply is not there.
You are probably running our of RAM to render the map, particularly if you made the map at max size to begin with it. What is the original size of your map? And what's your total system RAM?

Thanks!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

TrolleFrostholm

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:04 pm

9000 x 9000 if i remember correct, i choose the max side.

I is not using all my RAM i have 24 GB of it on my laptop, with a core intel 7 processor and an NVidea GFX card

I have plenty af disk space allso, so i think its a bit odd ;)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 pm

TrolleFrostholm wrote:9000 x 9000 if i remember correct, i choose the max side.

I is not using all my RAM i have 24 GB of it on my laptop, with a core intel 7 processor and an NVidea GFX card

I have plenty af disk space allso, so i think its a bit odd ;)
From my rough estimate you would need around 5 to 6 GB of both RAM and HD space for the file.

It is possible the output was created properly, but the program you used to open it couldn't handle it (I think browsers won't open that size). Can you check the size of the file created to see if it's non-zero? And also, what program were you using to open it?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

TrolleFrostholm

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:54 am

The file is never created...

There is no file where i specifie it to be created, if i try to create the file with the same name and location again i do not get a warning that i am overwriting another file so file is never created.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 am

Sorry, I missed that from your original post.

Question,
What version of OWM are you running? We increased the max map size with Beta 4 to be above 20k, which is why I asked what you had as the max (just double checking that you are running the latest version)

Also, do you have the same problem if you just try to export a "blank" map that is 9k x 9k scaled above 200%?

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

TrolleFrostholm

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am

Sorry to answer so late, but i have been on vecation.

I have the Beta 4 version and exporting a blank map 9000 x 9000 with 300% is the same, the png file is never created...

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Hello,

We found the issue. The max size for exporting is 23000x23000 px. We're working on increasing the max size.

Thanks for catching this!
Katie

TrolleFrostholm

Post by TrolleFrostholm » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 am

Ah then it all makes sense :)

I will keep my exports under 23000x23000 px. for now...

Hope you solve the issue, thanks

Keep up the good work

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:03 am

TrolleFrostholm wrote:Ah then it all makes sense :)

I will keep my exports under 23000x23000 px. for now...

Hope you solve the issue, thanks

Keep up the good work
Thank you! :)

Update: The issue is with the Windows encoder we are using to save the image files. We considering making the change with Beta 5, but so far into regression testing it's not a good idea to make that type of change. So B5 will release with that as a known issue and we'll work to fix it with the release after (which hopefully won't take us as long to get out!).

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software